question

dharryman avatar image
dharryman asked

Automate more than 2 relays using Node-Red on RPi

Hi

Following the notes from here I've managed to get as many relays as I want configured on my RPi. These work on the GUI and in hardware.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/34195/make-more-than-two-relays-visible-on-rpi-rpi.html

The problem I'm having is that if I configure more than two relays, they stop apprearing as an option for me to control in Node-Red. Has anyone had a look at this or have a work around?

Thanks,

Dan

Venus OSRaspberry PiNode-RED
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

thomas-g avatar image thomas-g commented ·

@dharryman - I don't have an answer - but I did raise the same question/problem about a year ago. Never got any further.

I have the same issue - I got 4 relays onto my Venus Pi. I can get them working on the device itself (switching on and off via remote console over vrm) - but in node-red it only likes to register the first 2 of the 4.

I managed to rewrite some of the files so 3 or 4 of the 4 relays can be tracked on a web page to see when they are on or off. But actually turning them on or off via node-red (via a web page) has never worked for me.

It looks like its an issue of the path of "/Relay/1/state" etc. But my brain is not big enough to work that out... Hopefully one day someone hears our cry!

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
mrhappy avatar image
mrhappy answered ·

A work-around is the way I have done it. I got a cheap 8-relay stand-alone ethernet board off e-bay and can control the relays with the "telnet-send" node in node-red. That works fine, but with the downside of more hardware that needs power and ethernet connection.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.