question

markblox avatar image
markblox asked

Using Cerbo to control a heat pad under a lithium battery

I am going to install a Victron lithium battery and intend to have a heat pad under the battery with a small air space between the two. It will be in a reasonably cold part of the boat and I would like to avoid the possibility of a situation where the smart lithium won't accept a charge.

The question is: can a Cerbo GX be used to automatically start and stop power to a heat mat. I know it has a couple of relays and I don't have a generator so relay one is avaliable and it has four thermometer inputs but I can't find any info as to see if it is possible or not.

cerbo gxLithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

The ability to trigger a relay via temperature is needed. This is not yet available within the GUI screen but could be coded. I suspect that the relay would need to control a second relay as the relay on the Cerbo will not have enough power to supply the heat mats.

I have heat mats installed under my batteries, but not yet wired, so have considered writing a script to pull the temperature from dBus and then change the state of the relay.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Eddy avatar image
Eddy answered ·

A couple of people are waiting for this extension/upgrade. Controlling something by temperature is asked for, but still missing. They want to work on it .. we have to be patient.

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·
1 comment
2 |3000

markblox avatar image markblox commented ·

Thanks very much, very interesting. I think I will install a temp probe to the battery and control a relay (for the heat pad) from relay two of the Cerbo GX, set up an alarm and VRM notification and as we are live-aboard will just manually turn the relay on until Victron revise the software which fingers crossed will allow the relay to talk to the temperature input.

0 Likes 0 ·