question

p-rhodan avatar image
p-rhodan asked

SmartShunt with Temperature Sensor and Starter Battery Voltages?

Hi all,

I am using a SmartShunt 500a with a Victron temperature sensor for my battery in a motor home. Now I want to monitor the voltage of the starter battery, too.

Can I connect the SmartShunt to the starter battery in addition to the temperature sensor? If not, what do you recommend?

The temperature is provided via VE.network for a SmartSolar MPP 100/50 controller. Also both are connected via VE.direct USB cable to a Raspberry Pi with Venus OS and 7“ touch screen.

Thanks!

MPPT SmartSolarVenus OSSmartShuntRaspberry PiTemperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

You can only choose one function for the Aux input. Likewise you can only choose one function from the options in the app.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Can the Raspberry Pi accept an analogue LM 335 sensor.?

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

It doesn't accept analog inputs as standard.
Rob Duthie is working on the hardware to enable the use of analog sensors with the Pi:
https://community.victronenergy.com/articles/38710/victron-raspi-hat.html

0 Likes 0 ·
p-rhodan avatar image p-rhodan wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Wouldn’t it be already possible to use an ADC like describing here? Or is this not supported wit Venus OS 2.60?

https://github.com/aaronsb/victronvenussupport/blob/master/venus_rpi_enablement.md#expander-pi-adac-board

0 Likes 0 ·
p-rhodan avatar image p-rhodan commented ·

Thanks for the confirmation!
I almost thought so.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

You could use the Smart Battery Sense.

https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/smart-battery-sense

2 comments
2 |3000

p-rhodan avatar image p-rhodan commented ·

Thank you! I had already thought about that.

The only drawback is that the SmartBattery Sense has a power consumption, albeit low. Only if you stand still for a long time, it leads to emptying the battery.

What is the best way to charge the starter battery in this case? The SmartSolar 100/50 has only one charging output. In addition, both batteries have different final charge voltages.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ p-rhodan commented ·

@p_rhodan

It's a shame you don't have a Multiplus. Many models have a 4A starter batt charger, and they have their own temp-sensor which can be used to feed the mppt via VenusOS. Thus freeing the Smartshunt port for alternative V-sensing.

I use an Orion (non-smart) to charge the 'starter' batts. No need for a V-sense, as I know it will show the 13.5V I have it set to. (I switch it in with an Assistant in the Multi)

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources