question

rbecerra avatar image
rbecerra asked

Writing DVCC parameters from Node-Red

Hi there...

I'm trying to communicate a BMS (from a HydraRedox flow battery) with a CCGX, in order to allow the BMS manage battery charge an discharge using DVCC.
The system is off-grid, so I've discarded using ESS.

The BMS includes a PLC which can communicate through Modbus TCP, and optionally using CAN bus (CANOpen).

One of the most interesting options for me is to communicate them through Node-Red, using the "node-red-contrib-modbus" and "node-red-contrib-victron" nodes. I'd install Node-Red in a computer in the same local network, as CCGX doesn't seem to support Node-Red.

I have no problem with the Modbus part, as I've used it in other projects, but have some questions about communication with the CCGX:

Is it possible to write the DVCC parameters needed (CVL, CCL and DCL) from Node-Red?

As it seems "node-red-contrib-victron" nodes use internally D-Bus, this question could also be asked like this:

Is it possible to write the DVCC parameters needed (CVL, CCL and DCL) using D-Bus?

And, if it's possible, where can I find the D-Bus paths to these parameters?

Just in case somebody suggest using Modbus to write these parameters, I cannot find some of them in the Modbus register list cor CCGX, and some other are just not writable.

My other preferred option is to communicate both systems using CAN Bus (Ve.Can/NMEA2000/CANOpen), but I also have some questions about that and will ask them in another thread.

I've posted this same question in the Spanish forum (in spanish), please tell me if you consider this a misuse of the forums (I'm a newbie here...).

Thanks in advance,

Raúl

BMSCCGX Color ControlNode-REDDVCCd-bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @rbecerra

Please only use CANbus to write battery parameters.

I'll move your post to the 'modifications' section.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rbecerra avatar image rbecerra commented ·

Ok, thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
rbecerra avatar image rbecerra commented ·

Hi again, @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff):

Could you give me some info about the CAN bus registers I need to address to write these battery parameters?:

The parameters I need to write are:
-The equivalent to dbus "/Bms/AllowToCharge"
-The equivalent to dbus "/Bms/AllowToDischarge"
-The writable equivalent to dbus "/Info/MaxChargeCurrent"
-The writable equivalent to dbus "/Info/MaxDischargeCurrent"
-The writable equivalent to dbus "/Info/MaxChargeVoltage"
-SoC (found it, see below)

I've only found the SoC parameter ("0x0FFF State of Charge - read write"), but cannot find any more in the CAN bus register list I have here ("VE.Can-registers-public.pdf", version 20).

Thanks in advance,

Raúl

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ rbecerra commented ·

Hi @rbecerra

search the REC BMS page for their manuals with the CANbus registers in them.

0 Likes 0 ·
rbecerra avatar image rbecerra Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·