question

ewalderasmus avatar image

Pylontech Battery Temperature Missing During PassThru

Previously I have seen my system go into Passthru once (in 6 months) It didn't cause any issues and hence I just left it... but last week I saw it go into passthru three times in a day, and it seems that every time it went into passthrough the battery temperature went missing...

Now leading to my questions:

1. Is this normal?

2. Is this a known issue and has anyone else experienced this? and finally,

3. Is there a way to correct this?

Regards

Ewald

The battery is a Pylotech 2.4kWh and is connected to a Venus Gx via Can bus.

Zoomed in section

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerVRMbatteryPylontech
1599479744793.png (52.6 KiB)
1599479783262.png (33.8 KiB)
1599479833377.png (42.3 KiB)
1599479863902.png (29.9 KiB)
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
bkvanduk avatar image
bkvanduk answered ·

I installed the official cable from Victron, and still have this issue. I have no idea what could be the problem. Will update you once I found something.

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @EwaldErasmus

it looks like the comms between battery and GX device get disconnected, check wiring etc. first.

3 comments

Hi Daniel, thank you,

I did check this but what doesn't make sense to me is how it happens at the same time as passthru. Is this just a coincidence? or are they linked?

if the system cannot talk to the battery, it goes into passthru as a safety precaution.

bkvanduk avatar image bkvanduk Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ ·

Hi. I have the same issue. Do you have any idea how to solve it?

The wiring seems to be fine for me.

ewalderasmus avatar image
ewalderasmus answered ·

Has no one else experienced this?

4 comments

Hi. I have met the same issue. Have you found any solutions? Or do you have any idea why is this happening?

Hi @BKvanduk

I changed my can bus cable, but I still experience the battery going into PassThru once every two or so months, so nothing major.

Hi. Thanks for coming back to me. Every two month is not that bad...

Which can cable do you use at the moment? Do you have a link to the product? And do you use a can bus terminator as well?

I ended up making up my own cable (version 1 which gave me some issues), I then replaced it with a new cable which was an existing (ethernet) cable which i cut up and swapped the cores around. So far this is working well for me.

I will get the cable made up professionally eventually.