question

paul-lewis avatar image
paul-lewis asked

Multiplus 12/3000/120 Overloads in Charge only

Hi All,

I have an issue with my 12/300/120 Multiplus. When on shore power, and set to Charger Only mode, (majority of time), there have been three occasions now when the unit has tripped to "overload" for no apparent reason.

AC loads are minimal, probably 2-300W, DC loads also low, 3 - 11A depending status of fridge / freezer and any lights on.

I had thought the first time that "UPS Mode" may have been a factor but this has been disabled.

Batteries are 4 x Rolls 400 series flooded lead acid, 130Ah ea. Other Victron in the system currently just the BMV712, with 100/30MPPT and Colour GX controller to be fitted soon.

I can give more detail and photos when I get back to the boat in a week or two, including current firmware, which I know is not the latest.

The unit was not installed by me but already installed in the boat.

Many Thanks.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Joshua Warren avatar image Joshua Warren commented ·

Did you ever resolve this issue? If so, what was the resolution?

I have the same inverter (two of them, though) and what I've noticed is that if I run mine using AC input from my truck's 3k inverter (essentially using the truck as a generator -- and yes, the output is pure sine) and the battery is partially discharged, the inverter will make an annoying whining sound during charging and eventually throw an overload. It then restarts and goes through this cycle again. If I reduce the maximum DC charging current in DVCC (to about 20A or so) it does not overload and the whining noise is less intense. If I plug it into true shore power there's no whining and I can charge at full current without overloads.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
rickp avatar image
rickp answered ·

Based on the information here, the overload should be limited to either exceeding the set limit or something causing excess draw like a short circuit or loose connection to the battery. I don’t see anything else that could cause it. Connections would be where I’d start my search.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

paul-lewis avatar image
paul-lewis answered ·

Which set limit are you referring to / or would you suggest?, Battery wiring has all been recently updated and tidied up, so definitely no issues with connections on the battery side, and the current between batteries and Multiplus would be minimal as in all cases the charger status was in float mode. The problem is if it trips when were not on the boat, the loss of AC from the feedthrough is no issue, but the lack of charger then means the batteries are discharged by the standing DC load from the 12V Fridge and Freezer. Fitting 320W of solar in the next few days will mitigate that to a certain extent, at least in the summer, but would rather it didn't happen ;)

1 comment
2 |3000

mrseas avatar image mrseas commented ·

The multi has an option to set the "input current limit" so as not to overload the incoming source. What device are you using to "control" the Multi?A GX device, a Digital Multicontroller, or a MK3 cable?

0 Likes 0 ·