question

spyros-damigos avatar image
spyros-damigos asked

Lithium Service bank and AGM starter battery setup

Hello,

I have a system with 2 service batteries 100A each one starter battery and one battery for the bow thruster.

The system now is charged with a charger that supports 3 separate banks and 2 alternators from the engines. I now want to replace the service batteries with LiFePO4 from Victron, add a solar panel, a battery bank monitor and be able to see all that from the Simrad MFD.

I have concluded that I need these items:

-Victron Smart LifePO4 100A 2x

-Victron Multiplus 2000W charger/inverter

-Victron MPPT solar charger 100/15 (100w solar panel)

-Victron BMV 712 battery bank monitor

-Victron VE Bus BMS

-Victron Battery protect BP-100

-Victron Cerbo GX

I would like to hear your comments about this setup and your suggestions.

My concern is how is the LifePO4 bank be charged by the alternator and at the same time charging the AGM batteries?

Thanks

Lithium BatteryAGM Batterysetup
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

-Victron Smart LifePO4 100A 2x

-Victron Multiplus 2000W charger/inverter

-Victron MPPT solar charger 100/15 (100w solar panel)

-Victron BMV 712 battery bank monitor

(USE a Victron Smartshunt instead) otherwise you will have a round display that you never use as its all shown on the Cerdo GX

-Victron VE Bus BMS

-Victron Battery protect BP-100

(use a BP 200 as this covers you if you add more external loads latter that exceed the BP-100 capacity Your call here just a thought)

-Victron Cerbo GX

maybe add a external touch screen saves starting the simrad up when you want to look at something or use a CCGX unit

In regards to the AGMs there charge systems are close enough not to pose a issue in my opinion. but to get the MAX out of your alternator consider a WS500 external reg as this will also turn the alternators off and thus work with the VE-BMS

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
spyros-damigos avatar image
spyros-damigos answered ·

ok thanks, good idea with the touch screen with the Cerbo.

this way how is the starter battery charged? I understand with the alternator when on way, but what about when plugged in? the Multiplus supports only one bank and it will be for lithium. the engines are outboards Mercury Verado.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

the Multiplus has a secondary charge output for the starter bank being a max 4amp charge.

BUT I would recommend that you put in BP-100 (a bigger unit than what the two alternators can supply) in so that once the outboards voltage rise to the set figure then this would then charge to lithiums as well. as you have outboards a ws500 would not be needed and maybe to hard to implement.

you would need to think out the BMS control as well so that if a overcharge condition occurs that the Lithium is isolated from the engine charge/load systems

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?