question

vomhorizon avatar image
vomhorizon asked

Supplying solar power to starter battery in a car

I am planning on adding a few 12 Volt accessories (like a small fridge) to my car and wanted to mount a Victron 75/15 MPPT directly to the starter battery as I do not have an auxiliary battery and do not plan on getting one. My intention with this is to allow my 90 AH starter battery to power a few 12 volt electronics when the engine is not working. Is it safe to set up the MPPT with the starter battery? Will my starter battery charge through the alternator (when the engine is running) like it normally would?

battery charginginstallationalternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
glenhendry avatar image
glenhendry answered ยท

Yes. I believe the MPPT will stop providing current when the alternator is running, just like my van's MPPT does when I plug in a Victron 240v charger into the anderson plug. Also, MPPT will supply way less power to battery bank when no loads are on then it will when loads are running - even with similar sunshine.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vomhorizon avatar image vomhorizon commented ยท

Thank you. I just wanted to confirm that the two regulated sources of power (MPPT and Smart alternator) will not have an adverse reaction upon seeing each other supply charge. I don't want to mess up my car's electrical system.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic