question

lokus avatar image
lokus asked

Correct Installation of smartshunt, solar and alternator

Hi,

i nearly finished my electrical system in my van but still have a question regarding the correct installation of the alternator in the system. I have the Victron Smartshunt 500A.

My question is:

Do i connect the minus-output of the alternator via the carbody directly to my battery (see my diagram: 2) or to the smartshunt (1 in the diagram)?

Is it bad, if my battery has the only connection to the ground/body via the smartshunt?

Thanks!

battery chargingalternator
img-1502.jpg (2.7 MiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

harold avatar image harold commented ·

If you don't connect the Alternator to the Shunt, you will not measure the charging done by the Alternator

Harold

0 Likes 0 ·
lokus avatar image lokus harold commented ·

Ok, thanks for your fast reply! So i will use connection 1 and not 2.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

As per the instructions,the only thing that should be connected to negative battery terminal is the shunt!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

@Lokus This is the correct wiring(like in the manual):

9449-img-1502.jpg (2.1 MiB)
2 |3000

lokus avatar image
lokus answered ·

Thanks!

That's how i did it today, works fine!!

2 |3000

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic