question

lucasnowak avatar image
lucasnowak asked

Small alternator 16A with Lithium

Hi,

What recommendation would you share to charge 90Ah LiFePO4 with an alternator rated 16A.

Alternator is not a smart version, don't have any control in case of high temperature.

I'm quite sure that putting it without any Orion-Tr Smart would blow the alternator in a while.

OrionTr-Smart 12/12-18 is almost good, but since cannot set the current limit, it doesn't help too much.

KR,

Lcas

battery chargingalternatorcurrent limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
deminimis avatar image
deminimis answered ·

I have the same question (Orion Tr 12/12 18 with a max alternator output of 16A). Honda outboard? I'm likely to just keep the outboard starter batt (AGM) completely separate from the house (LifePO4) bank. 16A into the LifePO4 bank isn't probably worth the headache anyway (considering relatively little outboard charging as it's a sailboat). However, if you came up with a solution....

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

thomas-dd avatar image
thomas-dd answered ·

First, I would recomend to check wether the alternator itself is protected against overload. If yes, the voltage will drop so as the current. Important to check if any service operated by the alternator will be affected.

Hack: You can insert a serial high-current diode which voltage drop will reduce the current nicely.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual