question

ghostrider avatar image
ghostrider asked

Mopeka LP Tank Sensor - Common Settings

Sharing what I've discovered as common settings of the Mopeka propane tank sensor configurations. Eventually I'll record my actual values, but it will take some time to drain a LP tank and then fill it again.

Actual tanks will likely be slightly different, but these are numbers from Mopeka and should work as a starting point.

Anyone discover any better or sizes not mentioned (these are US based sizes)

Sensor value when empty: 3.8 cm

Tank Size Orientation Sensor value when full (cm) Capacity (Gallons)
20 lbs Vertical 25.4 5
30 lbs Vertical 38.1 7
40 lbs Vertical 50.8 10
100 lbs Vertical
81.3 24
120 gallon Vertical
97.6 120
120 gallon Horizontal 61.0 120
150 gallon Horizontal
61.0 150
250 gallon Horizontal
76.2 250
500 gallon Horizontal
94.0 500
1,000 gallon Horizontal 104.2 1,000

tank monitor
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Neil Swinton avatar image Neil Swinton commented ·
I'm thinking of getting a pair of Mopeka sensors for my RV. Any updates on how this is going? I've got a Cerbo, but it looked as though the Mopeka support will get to Cerbo in the not too distant future.
0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell Neil Swinton commented ·

Working well on firmware v2.92 with a TP-Link UB400 nano USB dongle on my LPG cylinders.

screenshot-20221020-200708-kindlephoto-715781293.png

2 Likes 2 ·
ghostrider avatar image ghostrider Neil Swinton commented ·
It has been fully deployed and is available for use now!
0 Likes 0 ·
Neil Swinton avatar image Neil Swinton ghostrider commented ·
Thanks! I'll try it out.
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
denzel avatar image
denzel answered ·

What model of sensors are you using ?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ghostrider avatar image ghostrider commented ·
Only works with the Pro LP or Pro Water sensors. Those are the all round ones.

*The ones that are rectangular/square on top do not work.*

0 Likes 0 ·
Neil Swinton avatar image
Neil Swinton answered ·

These are the settings I'm using for a US 30 lbs vertical propane tank. When configuring this page, make sure to look at the current sensor value -- the line after the Volume Unit. The "Sensor value when full" must be at least this value or the setup will start clearing values that you have entered -- like the capacity or fluid type -- with no warning or explanation.

mopeka-30-lbs-propane.png

The Mopeka Tank app can be configured to show the tank level in centimeters so you can double-check your settings. Currently, VRM thinks one of my tanks is 34% full while Mopeka thinks it is 38% full. I'm going to verify the sensor value when empty in the Mopeka app once the tank runs out. This is the tank shown above.

screenshot-20230217-160518.png

2 comments
2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·
I am using UK 13kg cylinders which are close to 30lb and not on the Mopeka list so I set up a custom depth in the Mopeka app. I found that I had to use 0.0cm as the depth for empty in Venus OS, which may be why VRM is reporting a low reading. I am assuming that the ultrasonics in the sensor differentiate between the steel cylinder and the fluid and remove this to give a true zero reading.
0 Likes 0 ·
Neil Swinton avatar image Neil Swinton pwfarnell commented ·
Interesting! I've noticed that the 30 lbs cylinder may get filled to over 41 cm but that the Mopeka app calls it 100% full down to about 38 cm, so I think that your chart is right and that Victron needs to accept a "max" of 38.1 even when the tank has 41 cm in it.

So far, I'm seeing that the readings march down steadily to about 5% and then bounce all over. I put a lot of dielectric lubricant on the sensor after my last fill in hopes of getting a true zero reading. I've got my fingers crossed.

0 Likes 0 ·