question

pretender avatar image
pretender asked

SOC - VE BUS Multi 5000/24 and CCGX is not working synchrome at the beginning

I have a question about synchronization of the SOC:

I have recently an new CCGX and connected to the Multiplus with VE bus cable. Also a BlueSolar 150/85 is connected with CANbus cable to the CCGX.

The SOC goes every day a little bit up when the sun shines. After one week the SOC is now till 35%. While the the battery (1000Ah) is in state of absortion or flowting. Is this correct or is there a possibility to synchronize this directly?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerCCGX Color ControlSOCBlueSolar PWM
15 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Pretender

It is possibly a seting that is not quite right for you battery type. Absorption and float is usually voltage based (your battery manufacturere will have a datasheet for that info)- Also check your battery capacity setting.

What is measuring the state of charge? The Multi on VE Bus? This can be checked under system setup and battery monitor.

0 Likes 0 ·
pretender avatar image pretender Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Hi Alexandra, tnx for your answer.

The lead battery is from 2015 and I have also an BMV600 with shunt. On the BMV is the SOC 100%, so this is correct. Maybe I have to change the type of the batterij in the Multi. Type of batterij I choose now is: "Flooded deep discharge flat plate lead antimony". Is this correct or do I have to change this? The BMV is nearby the batterij and the CCGX is 10 meter away in an other room.

I choose also in the CCGX SOC for the Multi, not on automatically or BMV. (there is no connection from the BMV to the CCGX) The connection of the Multi to the CCGX is with VEbus.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ pretender commented ·

@Pretender I have no idea what batteries you have in your set up. Just make sure you have the same settings on your 1.Solar charger, 2.Multi and 3.BMV and that they are what your batteries recommend. Check that the capacity is correctly programmed.. That being said if you have lead acid based system 5 years is quite and age for the bank and you would have lost some capacity.

But if the CCGX and the BMV are not in agreement then you have what is known as State of Charge drift. There is an option to sync the BMV in its settings, use this if you know your batteries are at the correct level and fully charged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ReljfO3k6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMJ_vzB2avE

Here are two videos for the BMV to review maybe there is some info in there to help you.

0 Likes 0 ·

As I indicated, the BMV indicates it well. It concerns the new CCGX. Is there also a youtube video of synchronizing with the CCGX? Maybe I just have to be patient because now the CCGX already indicates 50%,

0 Likes 0 ·

@Pretender no there is no video for that. If your settings in the multi are correct then it is more than likely that your batteries just need a good charge which is what it is trying to do. The Mutli will tell you it is 100% SOC when you batteries stop taking in current for charging. It is possible that the BMV has synchronized the wrong State Of Charge.

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw pretender commented ·

I suspect you have the wrong battery setting. Post a picture of the battery model etc if you can. Also, have you configured the correct parameters on the multi?

0 Likes 0 ·
pretender avatar image pretender ejrossouw commented ·

Yes thanks, you are right, the parameter settings in the Multi about the battery were not right. Changed efficiency at 0.85 and it works now.

0 Likes 0 ·
pretender avatar image pretender ejrossouw commented ·

If you see anything that's not OK, please let me now ;)

0 Likes 0 ·
pretender avatar image pretender pretender commented ·

The SOC on the CCGX goes now till 92%. And than it stops. Do I have one of the settings to change in the Multi to get 100%? Because the BMV give 100% . Also the BlueSolar is on absortion. So the battery is charged for 100%.

0 Likes 0 ·

@Pretender There are several charge states - Bulk - Absorption - Float. When the batteries have passed the 85% state of charge when bulk is finished, that is what you have set in the above picture.

Then it moves onto the absorption stage. Which is where your batteries will be now. It can take a while on this stage. The charger tab in VE Config should give you more details on that. Would you mind posting a picture of that tab?

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Alexandra, Please let me know if you see something I have to chance.

0 Likes 0 ·
img-7466charger.jpg (113.9 KiB)

Hi Alexandra, Please let me know if I have to change something.

0 Likes 0 ·
img-7466charger.jpg (113.9 KiB)

@Pretender I can see you have no grid power, is this normal for your set up?

We would also need to know what batteries you have on your system, are they lithium? Lead based? The answer to this question would affect how the tab picture you just sent is set up. You said you had set your BMV to lead plate, ejrossouw then asked for a picture of your batteries, this would definitely be helpful

If I set Lead Antimony - as you did on your BMV, (again I have not see you batteries so I dont know if that is what they are), and leave the default settings these are the settings I see. It is really important that the Absorption and float is set to what is recommended by your battery manufacturer - they can usually be seen on the side of the battery somewhere. And the charge current is not above its rating for charging, especially if you have a lead based battery.

I am hoping your batteries are now in the charge stage marked in the black square.

The other thing is on your previous post, the charge efficiency of these batteries is about 80% so a little lower than what you have set.

0 Likes 0 ·
1588929271013.png (8.4 KiB)
1588930000203.png (17.2 KiB)

Hi Alexandra, This is the information what I have off the lead batteries:

Brand: Sunlight

10 OPzS 1000 (1520) C10 (1,8Vpc) cap. 1114Ah

0 Likes 0 ·
img-1025-3.jpg (407.7 KiB)
img-7469.jpg (102.9 KiB)
pretender avatar image pretender pretender commented ·

And indeed we have no grid power.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Pretender

Why don't u connect the BMV600 to the CCGX and use that for SOC? it is always more accurate.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pretender avatar image pretender commented ·

Hi Daniël,

Thanks for your advise.

That was initially the intention. Turns out the VE direct cable doesn't fit the BMV600. The BMV600 has a different connector. Connecting a different cable is unfortunately not an option because the renovation of my house has been completed. The BMV is nearby the battery and the CCGX is 10 meter away in another room. That is why I want to read the SOC through the Multiplus.

0 Likes 0 ·