question

markus avatar image
markus asked

Venus RPi; consumption not shown in VRM after reboot

Hello,

I have the problem, that every time I reboot my Raspberry Pi, VRM stops showing my consumption in the graphs.

VRM shows the consumption in the dashboard tile after reboot so the data is transmitted, but simply not shown in the graphs.

I updated my Pi to the latest Venus firmware (2.20) a few days ago, but the Problem stays the same.

To get VRM to show the consumption in the graphs again I have to do a couple of incomprehensible things.

Something like, disable "has DC System" option, define the AC input of my Phoenix 12/3000 Inverter to grid or genset (Phoenix Inverter has no AC input) and reboot 2 to 3 times.

The red bars are then shown again in the graphs and I can set back the input to undefined und enable "has DC System" Option again.

The consumption is then shown in the graphs as Long as I reboot the device again.

Sometimes this is done in a few minutes, sometimes it takes an hour of playing around to get the graphs shown again.

It is really not clear to me, but the "has DC System" option plays the main role here I think.

Maybe someone knows this issue and has a solution for it.

System setup:

RPi with venus 2.20

BMV 700

2 MPPTs

Phoenix Inverter 12/3000 (detected as a Multiplus in Venus)

Thanks,

Markus

VRMRaspberry Pi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Just for the records, this problem was related to the Multis old Firmware. After a Firmware update, it seems to work now.

OK, I should have known better and try to update Firmware in first place, but just in case somebody has the same issue... @Porcini ;o) I post this here.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, which graphs do you mean? kWh graphs? See requirements/limitations in the VRM FAQ.

2 comments
2 |3000

markus avatar image markus ♦♦ commented ·

(1/2) I have read the requirements and I am a little confused. What does "Currently the calculated value for 'DC Power' is not used in any way by the GX, beyond just being displayed 'on screen'. In particular it is not logged on the VRM portal" mean? When I have DC consumption, which I have most, it is displayed and logged in the VRM graphs.

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ commented ·

(2/2) ...until i reboot and then, play around with those settings again ;o)

I have 2 installations monitored with Raspberry Pi's, 1 does show DC Power in the graphs and 1 does actually not. There is constant 5Watt DC Power drawn to supply the Pi's in both installations.

You can have remote access, if you want to take a look.

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Hi,

yes, I mean the kWh graph shown on the dashboard.

When I have consumption (AC and DC) it is shown as red bars on the graph, until I reboot my RPi.

After reboot, the consumption is still shown on the dashboard tile, but the red bars on the graph do not show anymore.

The yellow bars for solar yield and the Batttery SOC are still shown in the graph after reboot.

Then I have to play around with the settings as described above, to bring those red bars back.

They do not show anymore when I leave the settings as they are.

I can watch this behaviour since I installed my Venus RPi 1 year ago.

The Venus system on the RPI runs so stable, that I usually do not have to reboot, so the problem is not very significant, but annoying.

This problem is reproducible.

Thanks,

Markus

2 |3000

porcini avatar image
porcini answered ·

Hello, I have the same problem at a smaller installation where also a RPi is used. I don't have a solution yet.

First I thought I got a solution by using an external USB memory for the logging. Before only half of the data was transmitted when using the internal memory, because internet connection is very unstable.
Now - 4 weeks later - I have the same problem again after rebooting the device. Remote Control is nearly impossible (only 32kbit/s) so I can't test if turning off/on the DC-system-option will solve the problem at the moment.

In the advanced graphs the data is shown so I don't know if this is a bug of the RPi-Port or VRM.

2 |3000