question

Jmarc avatar image
Jmarc asked

Use 12port Ve Direct with Cerbos

Need to collect info for 20 MPPT's on boat. Maxi Gx has 12 port Ve direct to USB unit but no screen and will not provide info without Cloud connections. Cerbos seem to have enough processing power and a nice little screen but only 3 Ve Direct port. Questions:

1) Can we use 2 x 12Port unit from the Maxi Gx unit with the Cerbos using USB connections?

2) Bonus questions: any way to buy the 12 port units without buying the Whole Maxi Gx?

MPPT Controllerscerbo gxgx device
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

This would be interesting for raspberry pi users too.

I'm not sure if Victron stated the max amount of VE.direct ports the cerbo can use.

Performance Cerbo GX CCGX Venus GX Octo GX CANvu GX Maxi GX MultiPlus-II GX and EasySolar-II GX
CPU dual core single core quad core
RAM 1GB 256MB 512MB 512MB 256MB 512MB 512MB
Max. VE.Direct devices (1) tbd - 15 orso 5 6 10 4 25 25

The Maxi has a quad core processor while the cerbo only has two cores. The TBD still only says 15 devices.

You could just buy ve.direct to USB and get a USB hub to plug into the cerbo.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hardwic avatar image hardwic commented ·

We to have a problem with a Octo connected to 10 ve.direct x mppt's. Problem is if you turn on modbus, the Octo runs out of CPU. A Maxi is just far to big to fit in the space for a Cerbo and 12 x Ve.direct USB would be great.

0 Likes 0 ·
ttbb avatar image ttbb hardwic commented ·

The Octo uses the same image as the venus GX so it is a BeagleBone based system.

I have not owned one / seen what is inside. If it is the same standard form factor BeagleBone and cape type setup as the venus ( rather than a custom integrated board design ) then that offers you the ability to replace the BeagleBone with a 1ghz version form SanCloud. ( Outside warranty terms however )

0 Likes 0 ·
ttbb avatar image ttbb ttbb commented ·

Scrap that. It uses a begelcore and 1ghz cup. I thought i had read it was less but that was only the ram.

0 Likes 0 ·
venusvocto.png (61.2 KiB)
bbcore.png (729.0 KiB)
ckrohmer avatar image
ckrohmer answered ·

I was also thinking of using the 12 port VE.Direct concentrators from the Maxi GX, can you buy these ?

2 |3000