question

wetride avatar image

Orion TR Smart & Smart Battery Sene

Hi. I’m hoping to use the Orion TR Smart with the Smart Battery Sense.

Currently it shows these are not compatible with each other.

Will this be fixed with a software update? Or is this a hardware issue?

Thanks!

orion-tr smartSmart Battery Sense
1 comment
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

I use a third-party BMS system and would appreciate it if the Victron Orion-Tr Smart also knows about the temperature and voltage on the battery. The main concern here is the overtemperature so that the controller can reduce the charging current.

I cannot fully understand the reasons given in the previous reports.

If I talked to SwissVictron about it, they would think it's a good idea too.

4 Answers
safiery avatar image
safiery answered ·

I don’t understand why you need this and why it would be a priority for Victron? Please explain your application so we can assist.

3 comments

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi. I’ll be using LiFeO4 cells with an external BMS that does not have a temperature sensor.
I want to be able to charge this with both an MPPT and an Orion TR smart.
The problem would be charging the battery in the winter in cold temperatures. I don’t want to damage the cells and would need both the MPPT and the Orion tr smart to know the battery temperature and not charge it when the battery temperature is too cold.

I could accomplish this with a BMV, but that is an extra expensive and an extra piece of equipment.

Currently I use the MPPT load output to power my accessories and appliances. The victron app through the MPPT provides all charge and use data I need.

If the battery smart sense was compatible with the Orion TR smart, this would be the easiest and cheapest way to prevent battery damage from cold charging.

Thanks.

Actually, I can’t accomplish this with a BMV, as the Orion TR Smart is not compatible with VE smart networking. So the Orion never knows the battery temperature.

@WetRide, you could accomplish this with a BMV-702 or -712 by using a wired temperature sensor and configuring the output relay to turn on or off the Orion-Tr Smart (through its remote on/off ports) based on temperature.

giddyup avatar image
giddyup answered ·

Still waiting for this to be sorted out. For the same reason above, to use the smart battery sense to stop charging at low temperatures when using either the mppt solar CC or the Orion.

safiery avatar image
safiery answered ·

@WetRide If the Orion Smart is some distance from the batteries, simply increase the output charge voltage to offset ant voltage loss. As the current is fixed, the voltage loss is consistent and this will accomplish most of what the Smart Battery sense does.

1 comment

The main reason I want VE networking with the Orion is so the Orion knows the battery Temperature and does not charge the battery in cold temperatures as this will damage the battery. Adjusting for voltage will not accomplish this.

wetride avatar image
wetride answered ·

I heard back from Victron by email on this. the answer is...
Yes , but not in the near future due to other priorities