question

wetride avatar image
wetride asked

Orion TR Smart & Smart Battery Sene

Hi. I’m hoping to use the Orion TR Smart with the Smart Battery Sense.

Currently it shows these are not compatible with each other.

Will this be fixed with a software update? Or is this a hardware issue?

Thanks!

orion-tr smartSmart Battery Sense
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

reneschoch avatar image reneschoch commented ·

I use a third-party BMS system and would appreciate it if the Victron Orion-Tr Smart also knows about the temperature and voltage on the battery. The main concern here is the overtemperature so that the controller can reduce the charging current.

I cannot fully understand the reasons given in the previous reports.

If I talked to SwissVictron about it, they would think it's a good idea too.

0 Likes 0 ·
10 Answers
wetride avatar image
wetride answered ·

I heard back from Victron by email on this. the answer is...
Yes , but not in the near future due to other priorities

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

petedd avatar image petedd commented ·
It's 16 months later, no longer the "near future" and I too am waiting for the Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Chargers to support the VE remote battery sensor.
0 Likes 0 ·
onigino avatar image onigino petedd commented ·
I agree, this is very much needed I have numerous Victron products and the Orion-Tr smart is by far the most frustrating of all of them,

please update the firmware for this!

0 Likes 0 ·
safiery avatar image
safiery answered ·

I don’t understand why you need this and why it would be a priority for Victron? Please explain your application so we can assist.

4 comments
2 |3000

wetride avatar image wetride commented ·

Hi. I’ll be using LiFeO4 cells with an external BMS that does not have a temperature sensor.
I want to be able to charge this with both an MPPT and an Orion TR smart.
The problem would be charging the battery in the winter in cold temperatures. I don’t want to damage the cells and would need both the MPPT and the Orion tr smart to know the battery temperature and not charge it when the battery temperature is too cold.

I could accomplish this with a BMV, but that is an extra expensive and an extra piece of equipment.

Currently I use the MPPT load output to power my accessories and appliances. The victron app through the MPPT provides all charge and use data I need.

If the battery smart sense was compatible with the Orion TR smart, this would be the easiest and cheapest way to prevent battery damage from cold charging.

Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
wetride avatar image wetride wetride commented ·

Actually, I can’t accomplish this with a BMV, as the Orion TR Smart is not compatible with VE smart networking. So the Orion never knows the battery temperature.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ wetride commented ·

@WetRide, you could accomplish this with a BMV-702 or -712 by using a wired temperature sensor and configuring the output relay to turn on or off the Orion-Tr Smart (through its remote on/off ports) based on temperature.

0 Likes 0 ·
sirtoby avatar image sirtoby commented ·
This seems to be important as well for selecting the master charger. I do have an IP22, Smart MPPT and the Orion-tr. MPPT and IP can agree about how is the master, but the Orion-tr is out of that game.
0 Likes 0 ·
safiery avatar image
safiery answered ·

@WetRide If the Orion Smart is some distance from the batteries, simply increase the output charge voltage to offset ant voltage loss. As the current is fixed, the voltage loss is consistent and this will accomplish most of what the Smart Battery sense does.

1 comment
2 |3000

wetride avatar image wetride commented ·

The main reason I want VE networking with the Orion is so the Orion knows the battery Temperature and does not charge the battery in cold temperatures as this will damage the battery. Adjusting for voltage will not accomplish this.

0 Likes 0 ·
giddyup avatar image
giddyup answered ·

Still waiting for this to be sorted out. For the same reason above, to use the smart battery sense to stop charging at low temperatures when using either the mppt solar CC or the Orion.

2 |3000

eupeixoto avatar image
eupeixoto answered ·

To m the main reason I would like the Orion TR to be able to join a VE smart network is to make sure it will have accurate information about the SOC of the battery from the BMV jus like the Smart solar MPPT and the IP22 AC charger do. This is so annoying that the Orion does not talk with the BMV 712 and keeps doing its thing it's own way... :/

1 comment
2 |3000

minmin avatar image minmin commented ·
this! It seems only "partly" smart without being about to receive simple instructions from some more advanced system, such as the BMV 712, on what charging profile is needed at the moment (temp related, SOC related, etc). I have noticed that you risk overcharging the batteries if the orion kicks on and batteries are already full!
0 Likes 0 ·
minmin avatar image
minmin answered ·

Also still waiting for this. Not only for temperature related issues but also to prevent overcharging. If the orion smart TR is triggered when the batteries are relatively full it always goes into Bulk and ABS for far too long in my opinion before moving to float. really doesnt seem too "smart" at the moment unfortunately and doing this often- such as if being triggered by a vehicle turning on and batteries already full will reduce battery life due to over charging! I thought it was supposed to be "buy once cry once" :P not replace batteries and worrry about their burning

ve smart networking support so that the BMV-712 (or other master) can instruct charging profiles would be great! That way temp, current charge state and amps in/out are taken into account. just a simple instruction on what voltage/stage to charge from + a yes or no would be sufficient, no?

same goes for the bluesmart 240v to 12v charger btw...

2 |3000

thshh avatar image
thshh answered ·

Commucicating is a nice feature when using a MPPT SmartSolar device and a Battery Sense. MPPT stops charging when battery is hotter than 50 degree Celsius.

It also increases voltage to compensate losses when MPPT is not directly installed beside battery.

Using these features with an Orion would be great.

1 comment
2 |3000

minmin avatar image minmin commented ·
Add a comment to the 40ish comment thread on the orions if you haven't done so. I am sure many are hoping for this feature.
0 Likes 0 ·
traian-nicolau avatar image
traian-nicolau answered ·

Almost 4 years later add still no word on this. Please fix this!

2 |3000

Sarah avatar image
Sarah answered ·

Check to see if the new Smart Orion XS meets your needs.

1 comment
2 |3000

traian-nicolau avatar image traian-nicolau commented ·
thank you, but i'm not planning on buying a different unit. it's a very easy fix and I don't understand why they won't do it.
0 Likes 0 ·
cybermaus avatar image
cybermaus answered ·

Hi. I am here adding my 2ct.

I recently bought a smart MPPT 100/30, a smart Shunt, and a smart Orion TR 12/12 30. (was planning to by a Smart IP43 12/30(1+1)charger as well at some point)
Only find the Orion not only does not have VE.Connect, but also does not seem to partake in bluetooth based VE.Smart

As per : https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VE.Smart_Networking/en/ve-smart-networking-product-compatibility.html

So why is that. It has bluetooth. Surely it should be able to link up to the others. So they coordinate charging (like 2 parallel MPPT would). And so it can read current and temperature from the Shunt.

Please remedy this. I will never have VE.Connect, and that is fine, but please update the firmware to make proper use of the bluetooth capabilities.

Also, as additional question: Why is the IP43 120V model listed, but the 230V model not listed, to use VE.Smart charge coordination?

2 |3000