question

hawkelly avatar image
hawkelly asked

Smart Battery Sense Data on VE Smart Network

I installed a Smart Battery Sense unit and created a VE Smart Network with a unique ID

Added two Smart Solar Chargers to the VE Smart Network.

All 3 units show the VE Smart Network Icon when the units are selected on the Device List.

The Smart Battery Sense unit indicates it is sending battery voltage/temp data to the network

Both Smart Solar Chargers indicate they are "waiting for data" as in no data is coming from the Battery Sense Unit

Created a new Smart Network but the results are the same.

Charger Firmware v1.37 Bluetooth v2.12 Bootloader v1.06

Sense Firmware v1.02 Bootloader v1.01

VictronConnect App on Android & Ipod give the same charger information "waiting for data"

Smart Battery SenseVE.Smart Network
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ronhh57 avatar image ronhh57 commented ·

I am having exactly the same problem, except that my Smart Battery Sense unit and my 75/15 MPPT are only about 2m from one another. The battery compartment is open for testing (plywood top removed, no settee cushion) and the AC/DC panel is open, exposing the MPPT. The two devices can literally see one another. I'm standing half way between the two with my phone. My phone sees that the Smart Battery Sense is putting V/T data on the network, and the MPPT says it is waiting for data. Both the blue LED on the Smart Battery Sense and the blue LED on the MPPT are flashing. Shouldn't the Smart Battery Sense LED be constant on? My phone screen clearly says that the unit is putting the V/T data on the network, I am not simply picking up the data on my phone directly from the unit.

What did you find ended up working for a distance? I sure hope it is a little more robust than this. Once the cushions, panel door etc., are in place I am definitely going to have an issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
jperez (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
jperez (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hello,

What is the distance between the MPPT's and the Smart Battery Sense?

Can you try to change the position of the Smart Battery Sense?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hawkelly avatar image
hawkelly answered ·

The MPPTs and Smart Sense are 3 & 5 m apart.

The battery bank is located under a settee, l placed the sensor in what I thought would be the most "open" location electronically, on the top of 1 of 4 batteries, moving it would take it off the battery and lessen the accuracy of the temperature data, no?

If I use the Victron Connect App and place my phone as close as possible above the sensor (10 cm) , it immediately sees and connects to the sensor and one MPPT, intermittently connecting to the second. I would expect from this that at least some data should get through, but that does not appear to be happening.

Outside of moving the MPPTs is there a way to send the data through a wire, much easier to do.

2 |3000

hawkelly avatar image
hawkelly answered ·

I moved one of the controllers and it now receives the data from the Smart Sensor.

A much easier solution would have been to send the data via a wire, a consideration when purchasing the Smart Sensor and installing it on a sailing yacht, where battery and controller locations preclude reliable Bluetooth communication.

Is there an option to hardwire battery data to the Smart Controller?

1 comment
2 |3000

Thank you for letting us know that moving the MPPT's solved the issue.

There is not a direct wired way to communicate the sensed battery voltage/temperature to the charger controller but you can use a Venus device for example a Color Control GX together with a BMV battery monitor and enable data sharing between the battery monitor and the solar charger.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Smart Battery Sense Product Page

Smart Battery Sense Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic