question

eric-heiberg avatar image
eric-heiberg asked

Generator unable to connect (Easysolar 24/3000 -70)

Hallo !

I have an Easysolar 24/3000 system with 10 kW lithium and 1800 wats of panels that work fine. However I need a backup source of energy to charge my battery in October/November since the sun is low/absent in Norway then....

I have a 2,2 kW generator that works fine for tools, lights etc. if I use it directly -but I can not use it to charge my battery through the multiplus in mye Easysolar (from 2018).

I can see it connect and it shows 100-150 wats of charging for a brief moment before it disconnects.
I have tried to lower input current and I have also hooked off for "Weah AC" in VE.Configure.

The generator is a fairly cheap, but good and very common generator -see picture. I have considered buying a Honda 2.0 i generator -could this generator work better?

(I might only need the generator 2-3 times a year so I want to get away with a small and cheap generator)

battery chargingGeneratorEasySolar All-in-One
generator.jpg (14.7 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

eric-heiberg avatar image eric-heiberg commented ·

Could it help to deactivate the "UPS Function" ?

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Eric Heiberg

The draw for charging will be to high for that size generator. You can set through the ccgx a lower current draw for this. It is under the multiplus settings.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#input_current-limiter_setting

See section 3.1

Example of how to set it.

Amps x Volts = Watts

So 3A setting wil draw 690W from the genset for charging.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jacobjned avatar image jacobjned commented ·

Yes, a Genset of that size would be on the small side to handle a high charging current if 70A. You would probably hear the Genset struggle, varying noise, and on some models the Circuit breaker would trip. Based on approximate calculation, a 2.2kW 230V Single Phase Genset would be able to deliver a maximum of 9 - 10Amps AC Output current. Also suggest on VE.Config to enable "Dynamic Current Limit" option.

0 Likes 0 ·
eric-heiberg avatar image eric-heiberg jacobjned commented ·

Thanks for the answer :-) I have already done this.

Eric

0 Likes 0 ·
eric-heiberg avatar image eric-heiberg commented ·

Hi Alexandra!

Thank you for your answer :-)
I have already tried this.

Eric

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources