question

ben avatar image
ben asked

Spurious inverter temperature warning?

I have a generator connected to AC2in on my Quattro 15KVA. The generator is turned on by Venus GX to charge a battery automatically.

Each time the generator is shut down (when the battery is finished charging), the Quattro throws a Temperature Warning event that then goes through the VRM alarm rule ("Automatic alarm monitoring") and ends up as an email/text message on my phone.

Just one second later, the Quattro then clears the Temperature Warning.

This happens every single time, no matter the actual temperature or anything.

1. Is this normal? Why would the temperature of my Quattro change so suddenly?

2. If this is just a spurious warning that is to be expected and ignored, is there any way in VRM to configure it to wait a few seconds before escalating a warning? Or maybe there is some other way I can filter out this type of false warning.

Thanks!

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerVRMwarnings
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Ben,

> 1. Is this normal? Why would the temperature of my Quattro change so suddenly?

Perhaps the output voltage of the generator drops; causing a surge in current, followed by temperature. Its just a wild guess; I’m not sure.

> 2. If this is just a spurious warning that is to be expected and ignored, is there any way in VRM to configure it to wait a few seconds before escalating a warning? Or maybe there is some other way I can filter out this type of false warning.

Filtering these short warnings out is something on our to do list in the VE.Bus driver on Venus.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ben avatar image ben ♦ commented ·

It sounds like this is something worth ignoring, and I'll look forward to filtering improvements one day. (Right now it is sort of hard to use the alerting feature because of all the extraneous alerts.)

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ ben ♦ commented ·

yes; understood!

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ ben ♦ commented ·

Just to make sure you are aware of this: there is a way to filter out the warnings: in VRM settings you can set that alarm monitor to give you alarms only.

But; there is no granularity in it; its either all warnings; or no warnings; no time filter or type filter or anything.

0 Likes 0 ·
ben avatar image ben ♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks, I actually made kind of a filter in my email downstream instead, for now. I'm not sure if I even care about a "warning," but I think I do. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
fadi-lab avatar image
fadi-lab answered ·

Hello ,

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/149416/fake-high-temperature-alarm-quattro-10000va.html?childToView=155227#answer-155227

I have the same problem.

I think the problem is from PTC or NTC inside the transformers , when the load drops it creates interference on this thermistor, and the control board create the Overtemp Warning.

how can we resolve this problem please?

Maybe we replace the thermistor from inside the transformers to outside ? or put a filter (capacitor) on the control board to absorb this surge?

Thanks

2 |3000