question

blueo avatar image
blueo asked

Error #28 with Lynx Ion BMS and HE 24/200Ah batteries

I'm trying to commission a new installation of a LynxIon 1000 and 3 x HE 24/200Ah batteries. The only things connected to the system at this point is the LynxIon, a CCGX (via Aux VE.CAN, and powered by the AUX power output on the BMS).

As the system powers up, the status light on the BMS flashes rapidly (continuously), and then moves into an error state with flash+beep 9-times. The CCGX has been updated (manually) to the latest firmware, and reports the error as #28 battery flashing error. The last battery in the series now has a red status light on.

There are terminators at both ends of the battery bus and have tried removing the last battery in the series to attempt to bring the others up (they were showing green status). This resulted in each last battery in the series failing to flash and now stuck in red state - so now, one at a time, the whole system is stuck in an error state.

Because the BMS tries to flash the batteries during the startup and then goes into an error state, I'm having trouble updating its firmware -- its at 1.07beta. The difficulties lie in getting the CCGX onto the VRM portal in an off-grid installation (a boat). The CCGX doesn't seem to connect to a USB connected smartphone, it can connect to a laptop via the ethernet cable if I can get some sort of hub to act as an DNS server, but then I need to figure out how to bridge the cell phone wifi/hotspot onto the local CCGX ethernet.

It seems like this would work really well in a house, connected to the grid with ethernet and alternate power, rather than a boat where most of the options end with if I can get the power system up, then I can connect to the internet... Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

VRMBMSCCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @BlueO

Did you checkout the error message?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

blueo avatar image blueo commented ·

No, I was looking at this one:

But I did at first assume it was something related to the CAN bus termination, so double-checked both the cables - standard cat 5e - and the terminating resistor is in both the BMS and end battery. The batteries are all in parallel, its a 24v system.

Here are some other photos

0 Likes 0 ·
blueo avatar image blueo commented ·

This is a Lynx ION 1000, in a 24v system with 3 x 24v batteries in parallel. The manual states a different problem with 9 x flash/beep than you have provided and the CCGX confirms it as error #28: Battery update error.

0 Likes 0 ·
uhagemann avatar image
uhagemann answered ·

Hi,

we've had the same issue when we added additional batteries to an already running system.

It turned out that the firmware in the Lynx Ion BMS was too old compared to the new batteries.

After updating the BMS firmware - you need the correct programming adapter to connect to it - the system started up properly and then recognized the new batteries.

Best wishes

2 |3000