question

a-v avatar image
a-v asked

When two 48/5000 inverters in parallel, to switch them off remotely is it enough to switch off the Master?

Maybe I'm just not attent enough but couldn't find in the manual if both parallel units' remote connections shall be wired to switch them off, or is it enough to wire the miniBMS with the Inverting on-off cable just to the Master? If both shall be wired can I use the same Inverting on-off for both (it support max. 30mA) or shall I use two cables in parallel? Also, in this latter case will the miniBMS support the double current draw?

battery chargingBMSMK3
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Just connect the BMS to the master unit and ensure that 'switch as group' is selected during the parallel setup.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

a-v avatar image a-v commented ·

Hi Mark, thank you for the answer.

In this case both 48/5000 inverters will be switched totally off? I guess they keep some electronics alive, is so, what is their standby consumption? Or are they switched off as if they were switched off by the main switch on the units (i.e. no consumption at all)?

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @A_V

I would advice to use the VE.bus BMS

1 comment
2 |3000

a-v avatar image a-v commented ·

Hi Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

What difference would make a VE.Bus BMS to a miniBMS in case there is ONLY solar charging (SmartSolar150/45 connected directly to "allow to charge" output of BMS, i.e. NO AC input ever)?

If I use VE.Bus BMS, how shall I connect the remotes of the two parallel inverters?

Thank you in advance.

0 Likes 0 ·
a-v avatar image
a-v answered ·

The system would consist of:

9x270Wp solar + MPPT 150/45 + 2xPh 48/5000 + 4x12,8V/100Ah LiFePO + miniBms + BMV-700

I have found a system drawing in the manual of the miniBMS (https://www.victronenergy.hu/upload/documents/Manual-miniBMS-with-pre-alarm-detailed-EN-NL-FR-ES-DE-SV.pdf) on page 4. The system will be almost the same, BUT NO CCGX, VE.Direct MPPT (instead of CANBus) and 2 parallel 48/5000.

I thought to wire the "allow to discharge" output of the miniBMS through the BMV-700 relay, from where it would go on with the inverting on-off cable to the Master Inverter (set as Mark suggested "Switch as group").

I thought of this solution to have an enhanced safety to switch off the inverters at 20% SOC and let the sun recharge the batteries up to 80%, because there will be no other charge source in the system.

Do you think is it OK like that?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic