question

sbruno avatar image
sbruno asked

Programming Multiplus to auto switch between battery battery and shore power.

Can the Multiplus 24/3000 120v be programmed to automatically switch between battery power and shore power at a specific daily time schedule? For instance, switching from battery power during the day to shore power at night.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerVRMVEConfigure 3
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Sbruno

It would be less complicated to buy and install a programmable breaker, if you are wanting exact time. However programming the Multi to switch to shore power based on state of charge is the other option. For instance allowing the battery to draw down to 95% then not allow discharging past that if Grid power is connected. This can be done through the color control if ESS assistant is programmed in.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Elimac avatar image
Elimac answered ·

See here, I think this is what you want:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/drafts:acin_ignore_timer_using_ccgx_gen_start_stop_example

I have been using this for 2 years with excellent results. Having a Venus GX device is a must.

PS: I only use it in Winter in conjuntction with "off-peak" lower grid tariffs. In Summer, nights are so short and days plenty of sunshine, I disable it and the inverter is almost always on.

2 |3000

richoff avatar image
richoff answered ·

How can we do this if ESS is not able to be activated (Canada has no country code)?

2 comments
2 |3000

marcve avatar image marcve commented ·
The Netherlands does not have a country code either, but you can use an alternative code that works. Just google a bit.
0 Likes 0 ·
jm0278 avatar image jm0278 commented ·
I'm running ESS in the U.S. and had to specify "Other" in the country code. I run my own custom control program on a separate Raspberry Pi computer but I believe you could do what you want using only the ESS Assistant.
0 Likes 0 ·
gator6 avatar image
gator6 answered ·

I hope I’m not bringing up old posts, I am, but don’t particularly understand the answers given.

img-1476.jpegI’m interested in pushing this system to see how I can maximize it to utilize solar while relying on shore as a backup. I can’t seem to find a clear explanation. I’m finding it is possible with a GXCC acting as the logic controller, but get lost in all the technical jargon.

Please excuse my ignorance, I only got into this because the RV came with a MultiPlus (24/3000), Battle Born (4x12v), BMV, and GXCC. A friend of mine is pretty knowledgeable on solar (probably just enough to be dangerous). We added a 250/100 MPPT, connecting 2x355Ws and 1x320W paneling to that…yes, I knew the panels wouldn’t mesh well, it worked well enough during our boondocking stops. I eventually added a 100/30 MPPT and separated the array, which runs much more efficiently…of course.

We plan on placing the RV on a piece of property while building a home. Shore power will be available, but I’m interested in slowly adding another 1000W+. I would of course need another 100/15 or 100/30 for the 320W, then add 100W or 200W panels (matching, of course) as I can to the 250/100.

img-1476.jpeg (2.6 MiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

marcve avatar image marcve commented ·

This idea might help you in the right direction. Similar function to prioritize battery with grid support when needed: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/200301/solution-victron-dynamic-energy-pricing.html

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ marcve commented ·
@MarcvE

The process in your link involves Node Red, and that isn't available with a CCGX.

@Gator6

You need to determine what you actually want to do. Much is possible, and there also may be options. For now, I suggest you just switch in Shore manually as necessary, and try to define the 'ground rules' for how you actually would want it to operate, if indeed you decide to automate it.

Then post a question of your own for best results. But be warned, some of this stuff adds complexity that you'll need to learn to deal with.

0 Likes 0 ·
marcve avatar image marcve JohnC ♦ commented ·
Sorry. Forgot all about that. Busy with Quattro's + cerbo, so my head was focussed on that.
0 Likes 0 ·