question

ccarver avatar image
ccarver asked

Solar Capacity Clarification

Hello,

I currently oversee an off grid PV/Diesel hybrid system that consists of x15 10KVA/48 Victron Quattros, 150kW PV array, 700kWh FLA battery bank and a 200KVA Diesel generator. I have had solar companies tell me that the system is at solar capacity and no more PV power can be added.

In my mind additional solar can be added with the only caveat being that if generated PV power exceeded the sum of 150KVA charging capacity AND the loads then the inverters would be throttled down and the system would be "wasting" PV power.

Currently looking to expand the system and move away from running the generator every night. Daily consumption is around 1100kWh with peak load being 70kW.

Any insights/advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerVRMPeak Power Pack
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @ccarver

If your solar is ac-coupled, then your limitation is the Quattros.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ac_coupling:start

You could add dc-coupled capacity with mppt chargers instead of pv inverters.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ccarver avatar image ccarver commented ·

Solar is AC coupled, there two SMA 50kW CORE 1 and two SMA 25kW TriPower.

As our peak load is 70kW and even with future growth I do not project it to exceed 125kW would it best to keep the Quattros and simply add DC coupled PV?

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ ccarver commented ·

In theory, yes, keep the Quattros. And I believe it's quite common to do this.

Victron have new 450V input, up to 200A mppt's, Into 48V batts, that's up to 11.5kW each at charge V.

But please research this thoroughly, and with your local solar people.

0 Likes 0 ·