question

aybabtme avatar image

Orion-Tr Smart, VE.Direct and integration with GX devices?

Hey there, as I commented on the blog post,

"I'm curious if future versions will have VE.Direct or some sort of integration like that with GX devices? Currently, it seems that the MPPT and MultiPlus are able to coordinate their total charge rate with external BMS via the GX devices. But it seems that the Orion-Tr does not participate in this?"

I'm wondering if there's a way to integrate the Orion-Tr Smart chargers with the CCGX. In particular, as far as I understand, GX devices can coordinate with external BMS via CANBus to determine the charging parameters of a battery. It seems that the Victron MPPT and Victron MultiPlus can respect these limits via VE.Direct and VE.Bus respectively, which is great and a big reason why I bought this BMS and the suite of Victron product.

Now I'm considering purchasing Orion-Tr Smart chargers, however I noticed that they don't have any VE.Direct connectivity, or any other VE connectivity aside from the Bluetooth one. Is something like VE.Direct, VE.Bus or VE.Can planned? Will Orion-Tr Smart chargers integrate with GX devices?

CCGX Color ControlLithium BatteryBMSorion-tr smart
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @aybabtme, some day yes, but not in the near future.

meanwhile, its remote on off contact can be used.

1 comment Share

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

According to the manual, CerboGX has 2 relays. I want to automatically stop the Orion Tr-Smart thanks to the CerboGX relay, depending on the battery status. Which relay function is correct ? In my view, I would chose the "Generator start/stop" function and define battery voltage parameters to trigger the relay.

basti avatar image
basti answered ·

Second the need for that. Just shopping for a Orion-Tr, and can't believe, that it can't be integrated with my CerboGX, MP-II and BMS...

misullivan avatar image
misullivan answered ·

I’d also like to see this but for the reverse reason.. looking at using one or two to power 12vdc lighting from the 48vdc battery bank.. would be nice if it would tell the GX the power it’s drawing from the bank.

adric avatar image
adric answered ·

I am also interested in having this integration. Adri

alnavasa avatar image
alnavasa answered ·

I am interested in this too, since The charge by the alternator would not be monitored on the Gx

nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

I'd like to see this as well for DVCC max charge current. Also a nice way to data log input sources other than PV and grid. Maybe in the settings on the GX, like the multi where you can select AC input type (grid, short, gen), you can have similar options (alternator, ect.)