question

aybabtme avatar image
aybabtme asked

Orion-Tr Smart, VE.Direct and integration with GX devices?

Hey there, as I commented on the blog post,

"I'm curious if future versions will have VE.Direct or some sort of integration like that with GX devices? Currently, it seems that the MPPT and MultiPlus are able to coordinate their total charge rate with external BMS via the GX devices. But it seems that the Orion-Tr does not participate in this?"

I'm wondering if there's a way to integrate the Orion-Tr Smart chargers with the CCGX. In particular, as far as I understand, GX devices can coordinate with external BMS via CANBus to determine the charging parameters of a battery. It seems that the Victron MPPT and Victron MultiPlus can respect these limits via VE.Direct and VE.Bus respectively, which is great and a big reason why I bought this BMS and the suite of Victron product.

Now I'm considering purchasing Orion-Tr Smart chargers, however I noticed that they don't have any VE.Direct connectivity, or any other VE connectivity aside from the Bluetooth one. Is something like VE.Direct, VE.Bus or VE.Can planned? Will Orion-Tr Smart chargers integrate with GX devices?

Lithium BatteryBMSCCGX Color Controlorion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

34 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @aybabtme, some day yes, but not in the near future.

meanwhile, its remote on off contact can be used.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

neoman avatar image neoman commented ·

According to the manual, CerboGX has 2 relays. I want to automatically stop the Orion Tr-Smart thanks to the CerboGX relay, depending on the battery status. Which relay function is correct ? In my view, I would chose the "Generator start/stop" function and define battery voltage parameters to trigger the relay.

0 Likes 0 ·
Pantelis Zirinis avatar image Pantelis Zirinis neoman commented ·

Did you manage to find a way to accomplish that?

0 Likes 0 ·
jpk1970 avatar image jpk1970 commented ·

I also bought an orion because the instructions say that I can connect it to cerebro.gx. or rather it was cleverly forgotten not to say that it doesn't work. https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VictronConnect_Manual/de/victonconnect-remote--vc-r----configuration-and-monitoring-via-vrm.html#UUID-65239e95-58a8-c9a3- ba27-0875083ba016 The instructions also state that they are compatible. https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VictronConnect_Manual/de/compatible-victron-products.html. and as I gather from your answer, also possible! Can you please define the time more precisely when the promised product features will be implemented? "some day yes, but not in the near future" the future is now :) please make your users happy ! Thank-you

kind regards JP

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ jpk1970 commented ·

Hi JP, those links are manuals for the VictronConnect App. They are not about the Orion Smart DCDC Converter.

I don't know yet when we'll be able to release a DC-DC Converter with VE.Direct connection; sorry. Fully understood that everyone wants that!

Matthijs

0 Likes 0 ·
hussl1 avatar image hussl1 mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Still waiting. I am using DVCC with my Cerbo, Multi and MPPT. A Orion Tr just doesn t do the trick without integration like the MPPT has. I am tired waiting for the feature guys...
0 Likes 0 ·
minmin avatar image minmin mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Still waiting and praying..... :)
0 Likes 0 ·
fenix avatar image
fenix answered ·

that is a big gab from Victron... Orion need to be integrated to the system... it is a source of power such AC, Solar ....

it seam that the Orion was release just to fulfilled the gap from competitor

Let's go Blue Power VIctron

2 |3000

drlbradley avatar image
drlbradley answered ·

Another vote here for integration with Orion and Cerbo GX !

2 |3000

cwoody avatar image
cwoody answered ·

I have been thinking about this for some time too, for a Van Build, so that all the chargers are synchronous. My thoughts were to use a DC to DC converter into an MPPT charger, something like a 12v to 48v DC to DC and then a MPPT 75/15. The DC to DC would just give power to the MPPT looking like a 48v Solar cell and the MPPT would talk with the GX and the other MPPT's/Multi to match the charge status as well as abide by the charge current limit.

Ive not tried this yet and it seems expensive (cost of a DC to DC and an MPPT) to just add the feature, but it could work, right? Only thing is it'll look like you are generating solar rather than using a 'gen set'.

2 |3000

nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

I'd like to see this as well for DVCC max charge current. Also a nice way to data log input sources other than PV and grid. Maybe in the settings on the GX, like the multi where you can select AC input type (grid, short, gen), you can have similar options (alternator, ect.)

2 |3000

alnavasa avatar image
alnavasa answered ·

I am interested in this too, since The charge by the alternator would not be monitored on the Gx

2 |3000

adric avatar image
adric answered ·

I am also interested in having this integration. Adri

2 |3000

misullivan avatar image
misullivan answered ·

I’d also like to see this but for the reverse reason.. looking at using one or two to power 12vdc lighting from the 48vdc battery bank.. would be nice if it would tell the GX the power it’s drawing from the bank.

2 |3000

basti avatar image
basti answered ·

Second the need for that. Just shopping for a Orion-Tr, and can't believe, that it can't be integrated with my CerboGX, MP-II and BMS...

2 |3000

James Dowse avatar image
James Dowse answered ·

Any news on integration? Slowly working on replacing everything with Victron and I was surprised that through the whole ecology this unit wasn't part of the data collection in arm for instance.

2 |3000

Pantelis Zirinis avatar image
Pantelis Zirinis answered ·

I was about to order 3 Orion 30A and realised that it cannot be connected to Cerbo. I also have a Multiple and MPPT on a lithium system with BMS.

Huge disappointment. I am wondering on what the alternatives are?

1 comment
2 |3000

fgs-energie avatar image fgs-energie commented ·
Oh man a client of mine is in this situation, he would like to charge the car battery using the SoC interval (95-100%) of his lithium service batteries through the Orion connected to the Cerbo... did you find a way to move around this problem?
0 Likes 0 ·
petajoule avatar image
petajoule answered ·

Right now we're solving this with external current measurement and the on/off switch.
The Orions can operate in parallel, so we're e.g. using 2 devices for a 48V DC rail powering various appliances in a smarthome (mostly PoE switches, which in turn power other devices).

If the Power requirements drop below what one Orion can deliver, one of the two is turned off for power savings. Also, should one of them break (not happened yet and as they are not isolated also not sure the problem would be 0V rather than 55V), we could turn the defective unit off and turn the other on.

So yeah, Ve.direct would be nice, but remote on/off is still better than nothing.

2 |3000

wesser avatar image
wesser answered ·

I have been upgrading my van solar installation to Victron with an MPPT and a Smart Shunt and am now quite disappointed to find that the Orion devices do not integrate with the VE Direct devices.

Looks like I will be sticking with my Sterling B2B for the time being.

Come on Victron don't fail us, you've got some great products that just need VE Direct adding.

2 |3000

essentia avatar image
essentia answered ·

It's been two year since everyone asked for integration of the Orion Smart tr with the Color Control GX, and Victron said it would be coming. How much longer will this be? I need this.

7 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi, A future new model of charge controller will feature a comms port.

Maybe/hopefully next year.

And for sure not the now shipping/already shipped hardware. It doesn’t measure output current, and can’t measure that either.

Thats the best I can give I’m afraid

2 Likes 2 ·
Martin Keogh avatar image Martin Keogh mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

How about just some simple new firmware so the existing Orion's can see the Bluetooth Battery Sense via the existing VE.Smart Networking?

2 Likes 2 ·
remcomeeder avatar image remcomeeder mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Sadly, still no developments.

If the Orion would be upgraded with Smart VE networking and a programmable current limit Victron would have a winner.

The Buck-Boost is nice but extremely expensive and it as well has no VE networking.

Seeing what the functionality of for example the Smart solar controllers is they should be able to convert those units to a normal DC-DC converter with smart functions.

2 Likes 2 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ remcomeeder commented ·
As far as I know Victron is working on a new Orion. But there is no release date yet.
1 Like 1 ·
remcomeeder avatar image remcomeeder Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
That is encouraging news. I will hold on to my old setup with a lead acid battery for now until the new Orion is released.
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Oh and meanwhile we’re also working on the option to install a SmartShunt and tell it that its measuring dc dc charger output rather than monitoring a battery. See Venus OS beta update notes for that
0 Likes 0 ·
campdaily avatar image campdaily mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Is there any progress with this option yet?
1 Like 1 ·
campdaily avatar image
campdaily answered ·
Not been able to find any better solutions on here, so I was wondering if you ever tried this. To get the 5v above 12v needed to go into a MPPT, I was thinking of a using a 12v-24v Orion Tr.
2 |3000

pepe1395 avatar image
pepe1395 answered ·

Hi folks, news about a new firmware? Wake up Victron, let the Orion TR become as smart as your other products! Thank you very much and happy new year.

Ciao!

1 comment
2 |3000

bathnm avatar image bathnm commented ·

While it might be nice for customers, Victron does not generally share details of development and R&D plans directly with us or in this forum. So the answer above from Matthijs is the best you will get, "some day yes, but not in the near future."

0 Likes 0 ·
w15p avatar image
w15p answered ·

I guess I'm not understanding how the information on Orion chargers available in the victron app (ios in my case) couldn't be made available to Venus/GX devices. It's very useful information (eg knowing that the charge is currently in "float") and is awkward to only be able to view it on the phone.

I understand that the hardware itself may not have all of the information that you might _want_ for a full integration, but simply making the data it has available over bluetooth would be a massive improvment.

2 |3000

brezzi avatar image
brezzi answered ·

any updates? i would like to get some orion in de next 3-4 months, will there be some VE Direct Version.

cheers

2 |3000

bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

@brezzi I doubt you will see anything soon. While the device has a bluetooth interface to work with Victron Connect, it has no other interfaces that the Venus/GX devices can use to get information. There is no ve.direct ports. If all you want is current and voltage, then you might like to put a shunt in to measure what is happening.

1 comment
2 |3000

vdrnn avatar image vdrnn commented ·

Yeah, this is something I don't get. It would be fairly easy to at least implement a bluetooth interface. Why is this such a big deal? Any updates on this topic @mvader (Victron Energy) ?

0 Likes 0 ·
Dave Lewicki avatar image
Dave Lewicki answered ·

We bought two of these assuming they would play well with the rest of the expensive victron environment. Wonder how many others did the same?

Technically faulty research on our part. But am surprised and disappointed. We should have gone with another brand for the DC to DC charger.

2 comments
2 |3000

You could put any other brand in there, but none would integrate and it would not work with Victron Connect. The next Version of Victron connect (in beta) will add support for broadcast, so information about voltage will be visible in the main Victron Connect screen without having to go into the device within the application.
0 Likes 0 ·
Tien avatar image Tien bathnm commented ·

No, current version of Victron Connect can already see voltages etc on the Main Screen.

0 Likes 0 ·
Gordon Clement avatar image
Gordon Clement answered ·

This isn't an answer, I'm just taking a minute to reflect on the fact that Orion comms/integration has been the topic of two out of the top three non-announcement threads on this entire forum for over two years now.

2 |3000

oldwave avatar image
oldwave answered ·

I guess I am perplexed that the Cerbo can read and display Bluetooth data from a ruuvi tag and a mopeka but not victrons own Bluetooth devices that show up in victron connect. Seems like this function could be easily integrated for monitoring only.
t

2 |3000

nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

I'll add my two cents since I haven't posted in 3 years on this topic. I understand developing a new product takes time and to quickly change a new product is difficult. I understand any delays and will just deal with them. I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for Victron to release a DC-DC charger that has the following:

• Direct connect to GX for external control via DVCC and external BMS (just like the multi and MPPTs have)
  • Higher output (70-120amps) that's configurable like the MPPTs
  • Better efficiency so the unit runs cooler (I'd even take fans on the unit but I understand that's a hard sell for Victron as their heavy background in the marine industry).

I have since sold my camper van and I'm in the process of building another one and still with no option from Victron I ended up going with the new 2023 Sterling BB12120 dc-dc that does 120 amps and will just install another smartshunt for monitor only this input. It's got two out of the three that I requested above and until Victron releases something I'm just going to live with it. It's going to be sad to have a red box surrounded by blue but it'll work fine until Victron gives us something better.

I placed my order for the Sterling today so it'll be here when my van gets delivered.

2 |3000

Robert avatar image
Robert answered ·

Hello, so many people want a better DC/DC Charger with real "smart" functions and more power with less selfheating.

Best regards Robert

2 |3000

yann avatar image
yann answered ·

I had a similar problem, I needed 24V on a 48V system with pylontech batteries. I solved it by using a AC charger connected on the multiplus AC out instead of an Orion DC/DC. Works fine.

And the charger has VEdirect port, but I can't connect since the cerbo thinks it charges the main battery, but in fact it's used as a 24V power supply

2 |3000

hiddentty avatar image
hiddentty answered ·

Hello, i'm here to enforce the fact that a way to connect orion's plateforms to Venus OS should be found.. I'm building my RV installation with a lot of sensors, and Venus installed over RPI running also Node-RED.

It would be very nice to get this feature to design more smart custom automation scenarios.

Please Victron consider it.

2 |3000

johnchaas avatar image
johnchaas answered ·

I am a little new here, and are in the ordering process for my van build out. I am also lazy and simplified the terms, not looking up each protocol.

Please correct if I am wrong:

anything with the "smart" name could be connected and would synchronize charge via bluetooth.

With that being said, I see two scenarios:

1. my solar charger and orion will be in use while driving. They will communicate via bluetooth.

2. my solar charger and multiplus-ii will be in use while parked. They will communicate via carbo-gx

Again, new to mobile life. I have a home setup, but not a mobile.

5 comments
2 |3000

Tien avatar image Tien commented ·

Yes and no, the Orion Tr Smart can only connect to your phone so you can see bare basic info such as input/output voltage. You can't see current either.

So to answer your first scenario 1, no it can't because the Orion Tr Smart doesn't communicate like that.

I'm unsure on scenario 2, hopefully someone with better knowledge can answer this one.

0 Likes 0 ·
@johnchaas regarding point 1, no they will not communicate, but do not need to too charge your batteries. Two separate charge sources can charge a battery without communicating withe act other. If you are charging lithium and the BMS has a charge disconnect be sure to connect that to the Orion. Note teh Orion Smart is a three stage charger, the non Smart versions are just DC single voltage power supplies. On your second point, yes they will communicate, but what sort of communication are you expecting them to do? If DVCC is configured on the Cerbo then the Cerbo will control their outputs. You really need to read the manuals and understand what is happening within your system.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ bathnm commented ·
DVCC does not control the Orions. It will reduce the output of other chargers as far as it can to keep charge current at or below the specified level. But if you have a 30A Orion with DVCC set to 10A, you're going to go over the 10A.
1 Like 1 ·
johnchaas avatar image johnchaas bathnm commented ·

I agree about the manual, but sometimes there is no substitute for experience. There are thousands of pages of manuals. Finding the right one can often be challenging.

With that being said, I did find a comment on page 4 of the VE.smart networking manual that is promising. It lists the Orion-tr charger as:

“ not yet supported. Maybe compatible in the future”

I am keeping my fingers crossed.

0 Likes 0 ·
bradleyh avatar image bradleyh commented ·
Currently you can't connect the Orion-Tr Smart chargers to a ve.Smart network so it doesn't communicate with any other Victron equipment. I haven't had a problem charging the batteries with the MPPT and Orion simultaniously, though I haven't had the system for very long. I'm looking into the possibility of using a SmartShunt in the energy meter mode to enable/disable the Orion from a GX device. I don't have a GX device, so it'd be a costly integration for the Cerbo GX, screen, and another SmartShunt and I'd like to be sure it's possible before going that route.
0 Likes 0 ·
ramnasko avatar image
ramnasko answered ·

Might be a realy dump question, but can‘t a victron MPTT be used instead? Or is the input voltage of 12/24v to low for it to work correctly/efficently? But they are also just DC-DC converters and have all the fancy hardware features we want.

1 comment
2 |3000

ramnasko avatar image ramnasko commented ·

Found the answer. It is not as for once the input voltage needs to be at least 5v higher then the output voltage and more importantly the pv input might get shorted which is fine for pv but not for most other source.

Anyways it seams strange that a device like the MPPT 75/10 or 75/15 which is available for less then 100€ has all the measurement and interconnect features and a probably more complex conversion circuit due to the wide input and output range, while the orions only have fix voltages and (nearly) no communication capabilities at a higher price point.

I hope the next generation is more like the MPPTs. Looking forward to get on then.

0 Likes 0 ·
Supra-Halbleiter avatar image
Supra-Halbleiter answered ·

I'm only here to state that I'm disappointed with the situation and that we didn't hear anything about the topic from Victron for over two years now, even though so many people are asking for it. This taints my previously good image of Victron. I'm planing my energy system now and I will probably decide to use cheaper DC-DC converters from a different manufacturer, because the Orion doesn't integrate with the rest.

2 comments
2 |3000

@Supra-Halbleiter Even a cheaper DC/DC will not integrate. At least with an Orion TR Smart you can configure it via bluetooth. I notice that earlier in this trghead Victron did state that some date it will be sorted. Victron will not discuss new products until such time as they are ready for sale. So patience is needed and I am sure they will come.
1 Like 1 ·
Supra-Halbleiter avatar image Supra-Halbleiter bathnm commented ·

Of course cheaper devices do not integrate too. I see no reason, if the quality is good enough, to pay more and buy Victron if it doesn't integrate in this case. I don't like the bluetooth interface, because smartphones are the most insecure IT devices. I don't own an android and don't want to buy one to manage my Victron gear. Also the usability is limited, because you can only connect to one device at a time. This is a usability mess when you own more devices than one. Is there some automation protocol built into the bluetooth interface? Then I could see a use for it, but it would still be far from ideal, because a controller hub (say a raspberry PI) would have to have multiple Bluetooth dongles. Lastly every wireless interface is a security problem and I don't want anything with wireless management in my system.

I understand Victron doesn't discuss new developments and I don't like this policy.

0 Likes 0 ·
matthias-nagel avatar image
matthias-nagel answered ·

I also would like to draw attention of the Victron Energy Inc and its management to this tread. The topic is now 4 years old and the situation has still not been settled. That is very disappointing.

2 |3000

happy-camper avatar image
happy-camper answered ·

I'm here to throw my hat in the ring. We live in the desert southwest where temperatures can be in excess of 120 degrees.

We replaced our old solar charger with an MPPT solar charger to stop cooking our batteries in the heat. Then we got a Smart Battery Sense to report back to the MPPT charger because the temp reporting was more accurate. Then we got a SmartShunt and it linked up with the mppt charger via network. We purchased the temp sender for the smart shunt as it is said to be even more accurate. Then we got another Smart Battery sense just so we have visual temp on all 3 (knowing the smartshunt over rides the Smart Battery Sense).

I purchased the Orion from Amazon last night. It will be here today. I will be returning it unopened because it can't receive temperature data from any of the other products i purchased and it cannot throttle output current (amps) to a specific set range like it's MPPT cousin. I am considering a Cerbo upgrade as well and the Orion doesn't speak VE???

The only thing this product has in common with the others is the blue outer case. It is not "smart" at all. In fact, compared to the other products it has a learning deficit that renders it near useless.

We are extremely disappointed. We will be running off the the regular old house charger in the RV until Victron gets this figured out. Maybe even get another brand if need be.

2 |3000

matthias-nagel avatar image
matthias-nagel answered ·

The entire situation is extremely unfortunate. I am planning to electrify a sailing yacht which has not any electrical wiring yet. Initially, I was planning with components from Victron Energy. But now I am actively looking for alternative manufacturers due to this lack in Victron's portfolio.

It doesn't make sense. Personally, it seems to me as if the Orions are not manufactured by Victron themselves, but are re-branded products only to have "some" DC-DC charger in the portfolio and fill a gap. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense why these chargers have been being completely incompatible with the other components for the last four years without any indication that this will change.

As @Happy Camper wrote: The Orions have nothing in common with the other components except the blue color of the enclosure.

Extremely disappointing.

2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

There is a new Orion in development that will have ve.direct and will have adjustable output current.

But it will still take some time. I guess Q1 2024.

3 comments
2 |3000

matthias-nagel avatar image matthias-nagel commented ·

Is this an officially, confirmed announcement from VE? Q1 2024 is great. Even if it might take until mid 2024 (delays always happen), this would still be great as long as there is real active development which is not going to be cancelled.

In that case I might go down the VE road, prepare and plan everything for the upgraded Orion and then add the upgraded Orion to the system in 2024. However, it must not take another 4-5 years or any other time in some undefinite future.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ matthias-nagel commented ·

I have good connections to the developers and I saw a picture of a prototype.
Unfortunately I can't share more details at the moment.

Q1 2024 is just a guess from me and not an official road map, it could be earlier or later.

0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah avatar image Sarah Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
The latest Victron Connect also introduces support for a new Smart Buck Booster - could be the same product !
0 Likes 0 ·
chrispi avatar image
chrispi answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy) this thread is now over 3 years old and nothing did happen till now.

Nothing is smart on the smart orion, but it cost double then triple of your competition....

Additional you get max 27A out of a 30A charger also at 25 degrees, my alternator can do 80A continous. It's really a big disappointment these TR smart orion...

Why should i buy a TR-Orion?? No integration of any sort, bellow specs charge current and gets hot like my induction stove...a renogy 60A DC2DC that I can reduce to 30A (also not possible to reduce charge current with TR-Orion) costs 100 bucks less...and delivers more via its bt app then victron does.....I can integrate this via smart shunt but even that feature is not there as promised.

An easy solution which I don't understand why it is not there since years is why the cerbo GX with its Bluetooth functionally cannot connect via bt direct or via bt connect to all Smart products and get all the data that instant readout delivers and can also use all bt connect functions like eg synchronised charging. That is a super simple interface to implement...@mvader please explain why?

Is ve-direct cable such a huge business? Would make installation much easier..especially if the cerbo is added later and all cable conducts are full like in my case...

Really, really disappointed that you cannot resolve this in over 3years...

Will change soon to 24V bank with 12V alternators and also 24V inverters. the new 12 to 24V DC2DC and also inverter (will be 2 Studer XTM24-3500) won't be victron anymore...if i have to add more mppt will be studer too.

mainly because I see no change at all, quality change through backdoor (multi 2 are much more hf then LF inverter anymore...studer are full LF with less standby) and have no trust anymore in promises that are not kept and obvious quick fixes are not done...and I am not alone...

2 |3000