question

tkmbe avatar image
tkmbe asked

Can VictronConnect Read SmartSolar MPPT Internal Temperature Sensor Data

Is it not possible to show Temprature with Victron Connect for Smart Solar?

I think this is a very easy to integrate but a pity that's missing...

In Europe the most country has the problem of cold days, in south America of hot days.

It would be nice to know the current temperature or even better like Battery Voltage low and max values in the historical to have an idea expecting battery live, control etc.

I guess there are a lot of values to get...

More better why not to make it configurable to monitor say 2 values of all the nice stuff you can get?

Of course memory is likely small but therefore if you can select 2 values which which be traced and saved in history...

The product is so nice, this wold give it much more use...

VictronConnectsmart solar set-up help
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Min and max temp for the day would be nice.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

If you just have a stand alone MPPT, there is not temp sensor on the MPTT. Victron has the VE.Smart network that can grab the temp and voltage information from either a BMV-712 (Battery Monitor) or Victron makes a dedicated device Smart Battery sense if you don't have a BMV-712:

https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/smart-battery-sense

And instruction on setting up the network

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:ve-smart-networking

This well take the temp data and send it to the MPPT.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tkmbe avatar image
tkmbe answered ·

If it has not an temp. sensor why you can configure the temp. compensation for the loader?

I tought I read that the charger must be near the battery so temp. will be according...

Anyone can conform that the MPPT Smart Solar has no temp. sensor or that is has?

2 comments
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

@tkmbe, the MPPT has an internal temperature sensor that it can use to provide temperature compensation when no external sensor is available; that being said, the internal sensor is configured only for the controller's internal use. Pulling the data from the sensor would only display a line of code that the controller's charging algorithm can read but would have no meaning outside of that algorithm.

So, in truth, you're both correct: there is no temperature sensor in the context of a device that will display actual temperature readings; while there is a temperature sensor, it's not sending data in a form that would be meaningful to you. So for a temperature reading which will be meaningful to you and to the VictronConnect app, there must be an external temperature sensor on the system.

0 Likes 0 ·
spirou avatar image spirou Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

OK, but converting that code value to a human readable value should be trivial. It would certainly be useful as I'm using second BMV input for starter battery voltage reading.

As my electric gear is stored under a bench seat (with baby car seats on top), it's not that easy to check how temperature changes with heating on/off etc.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@tkmbe, see this (brief) thread for a concise summary of MPPT internal temperature sensor operation:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/1845/mppt-internal-temperature-and-throttling-informati.html

2 |3000

Related Resources

VictronConnect Manual

Download for iOS / Android / Mac / Windows

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic