question

jdevince avatar image
jdevince asked

Victron Connect Windows playing havoc with other devices

The Victron Connect program is playing havoc with other COM port devices. For some reason, the program insists on opening every COM port at startup and then attempting to write to it. Not only that it will play with modem control signals. That causes radios I have that are connected on these ports to go into transmit. It causes other monitors to loose their data.

This is all verified using an Serial port monitor by Eltima. It shows me what programs open what ports, what commands are sent, what data is read and written.

How do I get this program to not open every com port and attempt to write to it? This is making my system unusable.

VictronConnect
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

northstar avatar image northstar commented ·
I got the same issue over here, once VictronConnect scanned the ports they are not available anymore to other software. It should be possible for VictronConnect to close unused ports after its scan, right. Could the programmers please fix that problem ! Pls ;)
0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
mathewgreen avatar image
mathewgreen answered ·
So I found when it has this weird behaviour a new device has appeared in Device Manager > Mice and other pointing devices > Microsoft Serial Ballpoint. If I disable this then the crazy behaviour stops. This doesn't make the Victron MK3 work again, it still needs a reboot for that.

I guess thats what you've seen also.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

andersondelnorte avatar image andersondelnorte commented ·
This absolutely worked for me. Note: I had to show hidden devices when the MK3 was not connected, uninstall the pesky "Ballpoint" mouse driver. Next time I connected the MK3, the device showed back up, but did not take over my mouse and into crazy land. I was able now to disable the "Ballpoint" driver.
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

My Mk3 goes haywire and simulates a mouse speeding around the desktop.

I unplug it when not in use.

2 comments
2 |3000

mathewgreen avatar image mathewgreen commented ·
I have this too, a reboot seems to fix it temporarily. Did you get to the bottom of this?
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ mathewgreen commented ·
@mathewgreen Could also have been the nasty usb hub l was using.
0 Likes 0 ·
cipis avatar image
cipis answered ·
Any progress? This blocking of all COM ports is unacceptable.
2 |3000

Related Resources