question

Chris avatar image
Chris asked

MPPT internal temperature and throttling information

I have 4 SmartSolar 100/30's hooked individually to 4 LG Neon 360w panels and communicating with a BMV-712 with temperature sensor. MPPT manual says full rated output up to 40c. Two questions:

Is it possible to read the internal temperature of the controllers?

What does the compensation curve look like at 40c, 45c, 50c, etc? Meaning how much power is cut?

MPPT Controllerstemperature
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Cosmos,

Its a linear derating from full power at 40 degr C to zero at 70 degr C

There is no way to see the internal temperature.

7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

enya avatar image enya commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy Staff)

Hi, could I get clarity on where we expect to see this high temperature? At the Batteries (Via BMV temp sensor) , Internal to the MPPT's or at the panels? I am correct then that no temperature compensation will be made unless batteries reach 40C ?
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ enya commented ·

Hi @Enya, above is about the solar charger internal temperature. Not visible anywhere; and not related to temperature compensation for battery charging voltages.

0 Likes 0 ·
dzl avatar image dzl commented ·

If there is a linear power derating as temps increase above 40, would it also be possible (in theory based on the capabilities of the hardware, or in practice) to derate current as temperature fall towards freezing?

This would be a useful option for LiFePO4 batteries.

0 Likes 0 ·
jjbond avatar image jjbond commented ·

I beg to differ....... I use the SmartSolar Control Display on the front of my MPPT's to see the internal temperature.

1685426911215.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1685426911215.png (145.0 KiB)
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ jjbond commented ·
Yes, but this thread is 3 years old and you have a newer MPPT.
1 Like 1 ·
jjbond avatar image jjbond kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
oh ok, sorry...
0 Likes 0 ·
krzysztof-chodak avatar image krzysztof-chodak commented ·

Could VictronConnect at least show that MPPT is being limited? I see it is present in the protocol. I was scratching my head why I am being limited to half of my PV panels power to find out that the MPPT was being quite hot. I will work on the ventilation but I would like to know when there is internal limiting triggered again.

Why there is about 1mm space between backplate of 75/15 MPPT and mounting surface? Is it on purpose? For sure it limits heat dissipation greatly.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic