question

miker avatar image
miker asked

Building a wind-turbine battery charger using the engine compartment's air intake?

Instead of using an engine-driven alternator, I'd like to make use of the engine compartment's air in-flow to drive a wind turbine. I would think this might be more economical using a high quality Chinese made wind turbine generator; no air intake when vehicle is idling avoids alternator overheating issues. Has anyone done this or know how best to design such a solution to augment the solar charging of my 24v Tesla battery bank.

MPPT Controllerscharge controller compatibilityHydro and Wind Power
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
miker avatar image
miker answered ·

I'm concerned the law of energy conservation makes this approach much less efficient (or a totally inefficient method) relative to running an auxiliary engine-connected alternator.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kai avatar image kai ♦ commented ·

I'd share those concerns, aside from all the time and effort that you can spend in prototyping etc.

TANSTAFL when it comes to extracting power, especially in the amount you might be thinking of. Alternators do have a level of inefficiency, which limits the amount of power you can pull. A closer to off the shelf solution is a DC generator but I haven't looked into how the mechanical coupling might work.

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ commented ·

moved to Modifications space

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

I would be more concerned with aerodynamics and no output at city driving speeds.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/mitsubishi-pajero-powered-by-wind-turbine-surfaces-in-romania-video-83241.html#

2 |3000

markus avatar image
markus answered ·

There is always a way...

;o)

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic