question

kiko avatar image
kiko asked

Orion-Tr Smart DC/DC control and grounding clarification

Hi,

I am building a 24V setup very similar to the victron van install (https://community.victronenergy.com/articles/15035/victron-vw-van-electrics-install-schematic-drawing.html) on a old Mercedes Benz truck (no smart alternator).

Instead of the Buck Boost, I will use the new Orion-Tr Smart 24/24-17A (400W) Isolated DC-DC charger behind a Battery Protect.

My negative bus bar and the enclosure of the MultiPlus are grounded to the chassis using 4mm2 wire.

The manual of the Orion-Tr Smart (https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Orion-Tr-Smart-Charger-Isolated-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES-SE-IT.pdf) states on page 4:

"Remote on-off
Use the remote function to enable and disable the converter remotely with the remote on/off connector or using the
VictronConnect app. Typical use cases include a user operated
hard wired switch and automatic control by for example a Battery
Management System. If the minus of the service battery is not at
the same potential as the minus of the alternator or starter battery
an isolated remote on/off cable between the BMS and the on/off
port is required, see chapter 4.4 for details.
"

This should not be the case in a vehicle, but the on page 10, Figure 4:

there is an isolated remote on/off cable shown.

So here are my questions:

• Is it correct to ground the negative bus bar and the enclosure of the MultiPlus to the vehicle?
  • Is it necessary to also ground the enclosures of the MPPT, the Orion etc. in such a setup?
  • Basically, I want to use the automatic "engine running" detection mechanism of the Orion-Tr to enable it. In case the VE.Bus BMS triggers the charge disconnect, the BatteryProtect on the charge side disconnects the Orion-Tr to protect the batteries. The question now is, if I also need to deactivate the Orion-Tr to protect it from beeing damaged, like with a MPPT? How would I do this? I have a "Non inverting remote on-off cable, ASS030550200" in my hands. It does not look like the one used in the diagram, it only has three cables (red, black, yellow).

Thanks!

battery chargingBattery ProtectOrion DC-DC Converters not smartGroundingalternator
1572517070603.png (184.4 KiB)
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Rod avatar image Rod commented ·
It is incredible that Victron Energy hasn’t responded thos question !!

Where is the excellence on tech support?

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ Rod commented ·
First port of call for tech support is the dealer/distributor. We're volunteers here and if it was missed, sorry. There is occasional input from Victron but not guaranteed or expected.
0 Likes 0 ·
Rod avatar image Rod kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Yes we are all volunteers and colleagues; still many times victron engineers step in with solutions.

Not kn this case for 2+!years; not even a link Pointing to other answered questions.

Hopefully kiko The original poster coul tell us what results he got

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Rod commented ·

@Rod

And to add on local regulations are also a factor. So it is best to contact a local dealership or contact on this matter.

This is not an official ask Victron site. See the guidlines.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Rod avatar image
Rod answered ·

By the way, what are those red romboids, on theca swers, and where is the symbols table of translation ?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

scooterjay avatar image
scooterjay answered ·

In yachts, all battery banks must have a common ground. Be interesting to learn if there is such a requirement in automotive.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Ground, earth and electrical safety

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Victron BatteryProtect product page