question

victronitnerd avatar image
victronitnerd asked

Pylontech Fuses / Lynx Distributor - Class-T

Will try not to bore you all with this but I researched fuses for 4 x pylontech US5000 batteries (Lithium in general) and it seems like Class-T fuses (or equiv.) are the preffered choice due to high short circuit current and the possibility of Mega fuses not being suitable.

So I purchased Lynx Class-T and then come to realise that the minimum fuse size is 225a which is too big for Pylontech's cables (rated @ 100a?). Recommended discharge/charge rate is 80a with a max of 100a (can be more for short periods)

Anyway I am stuck deciding now which will be the optimum setup/wiring.

Option 1.
Use the Lynx Class-T fuse with a 225a fuse for each battery (limiting current on multiplus) Fuse wont protect the cable from over-current apart from in a short circuit situation maybe?

Option 2.
Double up the dc cables so there's 2x25mm from each battery to the 225a class-t fuse which then should bring the fuse in line with the current carrying capacity. I just need to see if I can fit 2 lugs in the lynx on each terminal. I would also need to cut off the existing 8-25 lug and replace with a 10-25 for each cable (16 in total)

Option 3.
Create 2 banks of 2 US5000C using the intemediary dc cables and thereby creating a current more inline with the fuse rating but still only 1 set of dc cables to the class-t lynx. I still have reservations about the cable current being only 1x25mm still as this will limit what i can charge/discharge.

Option 4.
As option 3. but double up the cables so the current carrying capactity is better suited for the expected charge/discharge current and the 225a fuse. Still need to cut and reterminate the pylontech cables but only half as much as option 2.

Option 5.
Forget the class-t and go back to the distributor/power with 125a mega fuses. Dont feel comfortable with this though due to the high current under fault conditions.

Option 6.
Go with a NH00 fuse carrier with a 100-160a fuse per battery (I need to check curves etc..) then from the carrier to a combined bus bar (600a/70v) or to the lynx distributor/power in (no fuses) to save money buying new busbars as victrons are £200 each.

I had issues uploading images and embedding so if you can't see images, the link to all options is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13xG9NOGmaDa0Cfbbcxv-v8ii_SCjgQ8M/view?usp=sharing

If it makes any difference, its then going to e multiplus 2 48/5000 with a couple of MPPT's added in. And I might be adding a couple of US3000 down the line.

Thanks in advance for all your help and suggestions.

Pylontechfuseslynx distributor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
atebee avatar image
atebee answered ·

You can get Mega fuses which are rated for 70V and have the required short circuit current rating for US5000 modules in single unit per string configuration.

https://www.bimblesolar.com/MEGA-fuse-125A-70V

Pylontech cables are rated for 125A.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Craig Chamberlain avatar image
Craig Chamberlain answered ·

I also have 4 x US5000 battery modules attached to my Multiplus-II 48/5000/70-50 and I have two MPPT 250/60 charge controllers. The DC side of these are all connected into a pair of Lynx Power-In units modified to accept Mega Fuses. Alternatively you can use Lynx Distributors. I can explain the details of why I chose the Power In if it's of interest.

My US5000's all have a pair of Pylontech standard 2m battery cables each, and these are each fused with a 125A Mega Fuse. I bought my fuses from 0998125.UX-2M8 Littelfuse and they are the same 70V Littelfuse branded fuses in the link from @Atebee

My inverter has a 200A fuse and 70mm2 cables which go via a Victron 275A isolator switch. The fuse I used for that is here: 0998200.UX-2M8 Littelfuse

Finally the MPPTs each have their own 80A fuse and 35mm2 cables. I didn't bother with isolator switches for the MPPTs and will simply power down the entire system if I need to maintain or replace the MPPTs. I have DC isolators on the PV input lines to the MPPTs and I believe that is all that is needed. Fewer DC connections mean greater reliability and efficiency as long as safety is not compromised. The 80A fuse I used is here: 0998080.UX-2M8 Littelfuse

HTH

2 |3000

daza avatar image
daza answered ·

Like @Craig Chamberlain ive also gone for the littel fuse for each US5000 at 125amp, only deviation is now I have a 10000kVA Multi 2 so I’ve done away with the single isolation switch, one because I didn’t want to put two cables on one bolt, and the inverter cables goes through a plastic tube and they are 70mm tinned at 1 meter, so Opted for another Lynx distributor I know power in is cheaper but had one already so wanted to keep it symmetrical, I’ve had to up the cables from the inverter to be fused with a 225amp 70v as that’s the only amperage I could find in the voltage range.

I may look at the carrier fuses but I don’t really want to introduce more points of resistance at the moment my temp on positive bus bar is 7 degress over ambient when charging at full pelt.

if you haven’t got a lynx distributor already the lynx power in is the cheapest option and the fuse mode to make it’s a compatible mega fuse holder

2 |3000

victronitnerd avatar image
victronitnerd answered ·

Thanks all of you. I have the lynx power in's and lynx distributors already so using them is no bother, I just read varying posts that suggested mega fuses didnt have the breaking capacity of such high currents (under fault condition), but it does seem like each mega could handle 2500a @ 70v so 1 fuse per bank should just work. (The post about the guys house burning down had me a little over cautious, he was using mega's I believe)

Time to pack up the class-t power in's and put the distributors back in place. Actually will still use 1 class-t distributor for connecting the multiplus to the batteries as the megas will not be suitable to cover all batteries on the bus as that would need a fuse capable of 10ka breaking.

Unless I missunderstood anything I think I'm all good with option 5. 125a mega fuse (not victron's) which have a breaking current of 2500a for each US5000, and then still using class-t fuse 225a to the multiplus.

2 |3000