question

jsheehan avatar image
jsheehan asked

What isolators, fuses, circuit breakers or other products do I need to install my System?

Hi,

I have recently purchased:

- 2 x 48v Pylontech 3.55kwh Batteries

- Victron Multiplus II 48/5000

- Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/70

- Victron Cerbo GX

- 6 x LG Neon 2 360w Solar Panels

I am wondering what fuses, isolators, circuit breakers and any other products do I need to fully complete and install my system. Do I need a DC Fuse Disconnector straight after the Batteries? Do I need a Lynx Distributor, if yes, what does it do. It would be awesome if somebody could draw a diagram where each isolator, fuse or circuit breaker goes in my setup. Any help will be much appreciated.

Pylontechfusesisolators
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Some things to get you started:

• Use copper busbars (positive and negative). You will connect your batteries, inverter and charger to these busbars.
  • Use fuses (not circuit breakers) on all positive wires connected to the above busbars.
  • Wire sizes (cross section area) should be chosen based on the maximum current (A) each wire should carry.
  • Fuse size is selected so that it protects the wire: the fuse blows at a current which that wire can still safely carry; but the fuse should not blow at normal current.
  • You must have a battery disconnect (between the battery and the positive busbar). You can use a HRC fuse (in a fuse holder) to do both the job as a battery disconnect and also as a fuse for that wire.
  • You must have a PV array disconnect from the solar charger (and always disconnect the PV array before disconnecting the battery).
  • Use gPV fuses (in fuse holders) on the + and - wires from the PV array to the solar charger.
  • Pre-charge the inverter capacitors before each time you connect it to the battery (or before each time you reconnect the battery to the busbar). You can use a power resistor or an incandescent light bulb for this.
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jsheehan avatar image jsheehan commented ·

Hi,

Does my wiring Diagram for my system Make any sense?

screen-shot-2021-10-14-at-74703-pm.png

0 Likes 0 ·
Alex Rodgers avatar image
Alex Rodgers answered ·

Hi

This book from Victron will offer some insight.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Wiring-Unlimited-EN.pdf

But would also suggest you get advice from a competent electrician and solar installer on your particular setup.

Good luck.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron Pylontech battery compatibility guide

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic