question

Tom avatar image
Tom asked

CCGX & Venus GX vs Digital Multi GX incoming amp control

Just trying to clearify. Why do I see people connecting both a Digital Multi GX and CCGX to a system with a Multiplus? Does the CCGX have the ability to turn on and off Multiplus and control the incoming amperage? I don't want to spend money on both.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerCCGX Color ControlDigital Multi Control
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nebulight avatar image nebulight commented ·

I think the reason it's in a lot of installs is because if you have VE.BUS BMS for Victron lifepo4 batteries, then you can't control the inverter state through the CCGX. I think with version 2.40 of Venus you can now control the current limit, but you still can't control the state (on/off/charger). Maybe that's in a future release (fingers crossed)

If you don't have a VE.Bus, then I don't see the reason other than ease of use. As @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) pointed out, it's right in the RV/Boat menu to easily control it.

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

Yes, when configured in Veconfig you can adjust the ac input current limit and switch your multi off and on from the color control GX

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Tom avatar image
Tom answered ·

Thanks

This post did confuse me

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/17178/is-the-digital-multi-control-still-required-with-a.html

To bad Victron just does not build in a physical 3 position switch and amp control and Blue Tooth directly into the CCGX or Venus GX.

If I do go this route I think it will be the Venus GX to have the BT to a cheep tablet as a display.

Tom

2 |3000

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Tom

As in the manual:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#connecting_victron_products

It is possible to connect both a CCGX and a Digital Multi control to a VE.Bus system. The ability to switch the product On, Off or set it to Charger Only via the CCGX will be disabled. The same applies to the input current limit: when there is a Digital Multi Control in the system, the input current limit which is set at that control panel will be the master-setting, and changing it on the CCGX will not be possible.

2 |3000

sunny-blue-sky avatar image
sunny-blue-sky answered ·

I am in the process of installing a Victron system with Multiplus and solar charge controllers in our Class B RV. I was curious as to the answer to his first question, "Why do I see people connecting both a Digital Multi GX and CCGX to a system with a Multiplus?"

What is the benefit of installing the Digital Multi GX and the CCGX at the same time? Is it just a matter of having convenience with the Digital Multi GX having the physical switch/knob whereas the CCGX you have to go into the menu? Or is there some other good reason to have the two connected to the same installation at the same time.

I have purchased both the Digital Multi GX and the CCGX in anticipation of our install but I am curious if I should install both. I will not have a VE.BUS BMS in my installation. I definitely want the CCGX in my installation.

Thanks for any insight.

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Sunny Blue Sky

It is indeed sometimes more practical. although when in 'boat / rv mode' it is very easy to change input current limit and inverter state:

On the bottom row you can change the settings with the arrows and mid button. (locally on CCGX or remotely with phone / computer)

0 Likes 0 ·
sunny-blue-sky avatar image sunny-blue-sky Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you very much for the reply. Yes, it does look quick and easy to turn the inverter on/off and set input current limit via the CCGX. I did happen to watch today an excellent YouTube video from Eat, Pray, Van in which each setting of the CCGX was shown. Made things very clear for me.

I imagine that I will be putting in the Multi Digital Control (along with the CCGX) so that my wife has a physical switch to flip to turn the inverter on/off easily in our van. If it was just me, I wouldn't need it as operating the menu on the screen is easy for me.

0 Likes 0 ·