question

Steve Mitchell avatar image
Steve Mitchell asked

Is the Digital Multi Control still required with a CCGX+MultiPlus?

When I built a Victron system on my boat about 2 years ago with a MultiPlus, Victron LiFePO4 battery and VE.Bus BMS, you had to have a DMC connected as well if you wanted to set shore side power limits, as the CCGX would not allow you to do so.

I thought I remembered seeing that this was ONLY the case with the VE.Bus BMS, which I am not using in a new install, and potentially not required at all anymore with a recent CCGX firmware upgrade. Can anyone confirm this?

To be clear, the components I would be installing Victron-wise are:

• MultiPlus 12v / 110vac / 3000w / 120a charge
  • CCGX
  • BMV-712
MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerCCGX Color ControlDigital Multi Control
6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mrdias avatar image mrdias commented ยท

i am also very confused with this. I have a multiplus, BMS and color control. I cant edit the input power limit or turn off the inverter without going where its intalled. The color control says i cant because i have a BMS.

0 Likes 0 ยท
Mark avatar image Mark โ™ฆโ™ฆ mrdias commented ยท

Yes that's correct. The feature is disabled on the CCGX if you use a VE.Bus BMS or a CCGX.

Extract from CCGX manual below;

0 Likes 0 ยท
mrdias avatar image mrdias Mark โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

thank you, how do i add a multi control if both rj45 ports are taken by the BMS and CCGX

0 Likes 0 ยท

Plug it into the 'Remote Panel' port on the VE.Bus BMS.

0 Likes 0 ยท
mrdias avatar image mrdias Mark โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

wow, so obvious lol, thanks so much.

0 Likes 0 ยท

No worries. This is a better extract from the VE.Bus BMS manual;

0 Likes 0 ยท
1 Answer
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ยท

You can set the input current limit directly from the settings on the CCGX.

If you have both a CCGX & a DMC then the related setting in the CCGX are disabled (current limit & Multi 'charger only'/'off'/'on' control), as the DMC becomes the master.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Steve Mitchell avatar image Steve Mitchell commented ยท

Thanks @Mark for the great answer along with the accompanying details.

0 Likes 0 ยท
stavarda avatar image stavarda commented ยท

@Mark has this issue been addressed for the Canvu gx or Cerbo units ? in any update or will it remain as a conflict between parts?

thx

0 Likes 0 ยท
Mark avatar image Mark โ™ฆโ™ฆ stavarda commented ยท

Hi Stavarda, this limitation is unrelated to the exact GX device used. The issue is that the DMC has a physical switch (for on/off/charger only) and a physical knob (for input current limit) - so it is not really possible/practical for software to 'over rule' the physical settings.

0 Likes 0 ยท