question

Steve Mitchell avatar image

Is the Digital Multi Control still required with a CCGX+MultiPlus?

When I built a Victron system on my boat about 2 years ago with a MultiPlus, Victron LiFePO4 battery and VE.Bus BMS, you had to have a DMC connected as well if you wanted to set shore side power limits, as the CCGX would not allow you to do so.

I thought I remembered seeing that this was ONLY the case with the VE.Bus BMS, which I am not using in a new install, and potentially not required at all anymore with a recent CCGX firmware upgrade. Can anyone confirm this?

To be clear, the components I would be installing Victron-wise are:

• MultiPlus 12v / 110vac / 3000w / 120a charge
  • CCGX
  • BMV-712
MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerCCGX Color ControlDigital Multi Control
6 comments
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

i am also very confused with this. I have a multiplus, BMS and color control. I cant edit the input power limit or turn off the inverter without going where its intalled. The color control says i cant because i have a BMS.

Yes that's correct. The feature is disabled on the CCGX if you use a VE.Bus BMS or a CCGX.

Extract from CCGX manual below;

thank you, how do i add a multi control if both rj45 ports are taken by the BMS and CCGX

Plug it into the 'Remote Panel' port on the VE.Bus BMS.

wow, so obvious lol, thanks so much.

No worries. This is a better extract from the VE.Bus BMS manual;

1 Answer
Mark avatar image

You can set the input current limit directly from the settings on the CCGX.

If you have both a CCGX & a DMC then the related setting in the CCGX are disabled (current limit & Multi 'charger only'/'off'/'on' control), as the DMC becomes the master.

3 comments Share
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Thanks @Mark for the great answer along with the accompanying details.

@Mark has this issue been addressed for the Canvu gx or Cerbo units ? in any update or will it remain as a conflict between parts?

thx

Hi Stavarda, this limitation is unrelated to the exact GX device used. The issue is that the DMC has a physical switch (for on/off/charger only) and a physical knob (for input current limit) - so it is not really possible/practical for software to 'over rule' the physical settings.