question

cc5084 avatar image
cc5084 asked

Difference between smartshunt and BMV-712

As the title suggests, I am wondering what the difference between the smartshunt and the BMV-712 is. From what I can tell, the only main difference is that the BMV has physical display that you can see. However, if I am hooking up to a cerbo GX, I can see the display there. Would this mean that a smartshunt is the better option for cerbo GX integration sine I do not need two of the same screens? Or, am I missing something in the functionality of both?

cerbo gxBMV Battery MonitorSmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

From the SmartShunt datasheet (linked to the right, under "Related Resources"):

diff.png

So, for your use-case to connect to a GX device, the SmartShunt will be fine as long as you don't need the programmable relay of a BMV-712!

diff.png (170.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

paul-2 avatar image
paul-2 answered ·

Another consideration is the location of the shunt when installed. They are often surrounded by metal (lead!) and other constraints that limit the signal from the internal antenna. The BMV has the antenna in the head unit and that often makes all the difference for strong bluetooth reception.

2 |3000