question

dc-marine avatar image
dc-marine asked

Random factory PIN numbers on new devices

I’ve had 4 devices so far since November 2023 that didn’t had the default 000000 Bluetooth PIN number straight out of the box.

2x Orion-TR Smart 12/12 30A (november)

1x Cerbo GX (today)

1x Linx Smart BMS M10 (today)

Had to reset using PUK code to 000000 because no PIN number was provided, but on the Cerbo I was able to see the default PIN set as 443326 using the GX Touch during initial setup. These were all sealed box where I had to cut the clear sticker to open.

Not had any trouble with default PIN on a bunch of other common products such as various SmartSolar, BMV/SmartShunt, Smart Charger, etc.

Anyone else experiencing this or have knowledge of why the factory PIN isn’t was it should be ? Makes it a little frustrating when I try to show how “easy” it is to setup smart Victron products out of the box to clients.

cerbo gxorion-tr smartBluetooth
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Looks like a production issue. Thanks for reporting.

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) .

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @DC_Marine

The new unique bluetooth security feature is getting rollout out across the range, so there might be some teething issues with different products and different packaging getting improved incrementally. I agree is embarrassing for you and us, but only temporarily.

Here are the two most recent Victron products that I bought, the Orion XS and the Cerbo GX.

The Orion XS is how it SHOULD be for all products in the long run. The unique codes on seperate stickers inside a special pouch. All the info you need and links to support.

As this is one of our newest products, it should be very consistent experience for everyone.

cleanshot-2024-04-09-at-122521.jpgcleanshot-2024-04-09-at-122457.jpg

cleanshot-2024-04-09-at-120728.jpg

The Cerbo GX has a much longer distribution chain at this point. With older models still with 000000 codes potentially still out there on shelves. Then also previous revisions in the white boxes with unique codes but, potentially lacking the seperate stickers. Now today all new stock delivered from Victron should come with stickers with the code clearly displayed in the plastic pouch with the unit.

cleanshot-2024-04-09-at-122618.jpg

If you'd like me to pass on any feedback to the manufacturing team, you can give me the product serial numbers and I will find out if there has been a packaging revision since then.

This doesn't help too much with stock that is already out there with distributors, but at least we're sure then it's been resolved at the source and will eventually be as expected as new stock is delivered.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dc-marine avatar image
dc-marine answered ·

Hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager),

Thanks for the detailed explanation, everything make sense. I have yet to see the new sticker pouch in any product. All my Linx, Cerbo, GX Touch and Smart Shunt have been in white box with minimal paperwork (BC, Canada).

The new pouch will be handy to keep all the stickers in a binder for the installation.

I don’t have immediate access to the serial for the Orion (came in the retail orange/blue box), but I have the serials for the BMS and Cerbo below (white box).

Linx Smart BMS 0429539 HQ2350PK2PY

Cerbo GX HQ2310PREHW

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks, I reported the Lynx and Cerbo.
0 Likes 0 ·