question

juel-silva avatar image
juel-silva asked

connections for the Multiplus II 48 volt 5000VA 70Amp, Charge controller MPPT 150 Volt 70 Amp?

1000037563.jpg1000037565.jpgI have a setup with 6 panels of 255W each and 4 batteries. I would like to know how to proceed with the connections both on the inverter and the charge controller. Do the panels really have to be connected in pairs? Or can I connect them all in series? The inverter is the Multiplus II 48V 5000 VA 70 AMP and the charge controller is Blue Solar MPPT 150 Volt- 70 AMP.

Ps: I don't have grid electricity, I intend to use the panels as the sole source of energy, but I also have a generator... should I pull a cable from the generator and feed the inverter at the AC in input, right? Just to turn on the system? I appreciate all the help you can give m1000037562.jpge

1000036221.jpg

1000036229.jpg

MPPT ControllersVictronConnectvictron communityconnection issuebattery connection
1000037565.jpg (1.9 MiB)
1000037563.jpg (2.1 MiB)
1000036221.jpg (3.1 MiB)
1000036229.jpg (3.4 MiB)
1000037563.jpg (2.1 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
onrbikes avatar image
onrbikes answered ·

I think it depends on your cable size to your inverter and panel voltage.

I have 10 x 200watt panels at 36v each.

Have connected them so they supply 72volts to my inverter thus needing not so big a cable. My length is about 8 meters.

I'm in West Australia and am fully charged by 10am every day.

I too am offgrid and have a generator option in case I run out if power. Never used it yet in 25 years. It runs to the fuse box where I have a isolator switch to protect power going into the inverter when generator is on. That part was installed by an electrician who knew his stuff.

You should also have a switch between solar panels and inverter. Best to have it off when you switch on the inverter. Also good for when you have to work on the system.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

juel-silva avatar image juel-silva commented ·

Alright thank you for sharing!

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Almost certainly you need a series/parallel setup for the panels. If you exceed the input limit of 150V on your controller, it will be broken, probably unrepairable. Get all the panel specs, then Google the Victron MPPT calculator for help on setup.

Multiplus and controller connect direct to the batteries using correct sized cables and ideally busbars. You'll need to assess loads to determine cable sizes. DC loads connect to the busbars as well through DC fuse boxes. You'll also need to add a solar isolator per string and solar fuses if you have 3 panels in each string. Use the correct solar cable to connect the panels.

AC input from the generator goes as you say, but might need expert help to get it working.

AC output from the multiplus goes to a standard consumer unit/distribution board.

You'll need to set the battery parameters correctly in the multiplus and solar controller.

Manuals van be downloaded from Victronenergy.com. You might need to look under older products for the controller manual.

Make sure you comply with local regulations and at least get the AC side checked by a qualified electrician for safety.

2 |3000

sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

If you are feeding your Multi from a generator you should make sure both are earthed in accordance with local regulations. Some advice in Wiring Unlimited but requirements vary a lot from country to country.

2 |3000

juel-silva avatar image
juel-silva answered ·

Thank you for sharing, i think i got it now!

2 |3000

Related Resources

VictronConnect Manual

Download for iOS / Android / Mac / Windows

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual