question

jb79 avatar image
jb79 asked

Fronius and Victron Smartmeter - schematic

Hi,

I'm running a Fronius system with a Fronius Smartmeter and a single MP2-3000 + Cerbo GX + 150/35 and 5kWh/48V at the moment and want to include a EM-540 now.

From my understanding, the EM-540 should be placed directly behind the main fuses in front of the Fronius Smartmeter (seen from the grid towards the house). Is that correct or am I wrong?

The final goal (I'll do that step by step when money is available) is having a 3-phase Victron setup running in front of the Fronius system, swapping some of the strings to Victron MPPTs too.

I believe I've seen a schematic in the past, where the EM-540 should be installed to work correctly but I can't find that any more. Anybody a hint/link for that?

3 phasepower meter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

@jb79 Like this?

httpswwwvictronenergycomuploaddocumentsbrochure-en.png

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jb79 avatar image
jb79 answered ·

No, that wasn't the picture, I was searching for. It shows in general where my system is now (option 1) and how it will be when it's finished (option 2).

1 comment
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

@jb79

The manual is often a good place to start with good examples, but as per Alexandra's point, there are a a fair few things to consider. For a typical ESS there will be a meter upstream of all the loads and Fronius, which may even not be necessary, if ALL the loads are eventually going to be on the AC OUT.

1707662209123.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1707662209123.png (27.0 KiB)
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@jb79

What do you want to measure with the Victron meter?

Does the Victron system have any Comms with the Fronius? If you do then the fronius meter is removed from the system usually. There are some set ups where it isn't.

1 comment
2 |3000

jb79 avatar image jb79 commented ·

@Alexandra

: What do you mean exactly with "Comms", communication? I can see both (Gen24 and the Symo) in the Victron portal.

I want to measure the power that goes into or is coming from the grid, so that the Victron system will be able to bring energy input to 0 in the future setup (3 phase). Before that the plan is to use excess energy that can't be strored in the BYD system to charge the 48V LFP system connected to the MP2 and if possible to feed back some of the energy when it's needed in the house

Btw: I think I've found the picture I was searching for in that thread (picture at the bottom), so I'll insert the EM-540 between the grid and the Fronius Smartmeter as @ejrossouw stated, later (in the 3 phase setup) the complete Fronius setup including all parts of the house will be moved behind the AC Out 1 outputs of the MP2s.

0 Likes 0 ·