question

amrane avatar image
amrane asked

Power non return to zero at night on a MPPT 250/60

Dear all,

I use a MPPT 250/60 smartsolar with 2 x 1.5kWc (Voc 170V) solar panels and a 340Ah x 48V battery. On the MPPT, I notice that the current PV power non return to zero at night. It stays around 10-16W. Disconnecting PV panels using the PV braker don't change anything (it is not the moon light :).

If i use the remote plug to switch Off/On the charger, the unit return to 0W.

At night the PV voltage is around 50,6V (near the battery voltage currently 51,3V)

The FW is the last 1.37 version and the MPPT is 1or 2 month old.

Any Idea ?

Regards

MPPT Controllerspower meter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
markus avatar image
markus answered ·

My first thought was, I would be happy when my PV Panels would produce power at night. :o)

But that is not the way it should be. Do you have double checked your wirings?

This could also be a faulty unit somehow.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

amrane avatar image
amrane answered ·

I have done a double (and much more) wiring check. I don't remember seeing this earlier, the unit probably fall faulty.

But note that there is no error logged.

Is anyone from Victron reading this could explain the reason or confirm it should be a faulty unit?

2 |3000

markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Just a shot into the blue: Have you tried to connect the panels directly to the charger with no PV breaker connected? If not, give it a try.

When there is still power shown coming from MPPT, with PV wires disconnected from unit, I am sure you can make a warranty claim.

2 |3000

amrane avatar image
amrane answered ·

Markus, you right, i will do last test this weekend, breaker, coupling diodes, etc... but according to me there is no alternative way to a warranty claim. Thanks for you support.

Please consider this screenshoot and be careful of the hour and you could see a night power production :)

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

I've experienced this myself in the past on my 150/100, but not recently. It seems to have 'gone away'. In most cases, at sometime during the night, it would step down to zero. I thought maybe capacitance somewhere, and dismissed it as being of any importance.

As an avid reader of Victon blogs, articles & tech specs, I have seen such things explained by suggesting they're 'within tolerance' for the 'best effort' attempts to measure such without adding to the cost of the kit. I expected so, and accepted that explanation gracefully.

But I too prefer accuracy, and 'one day' I'll add a BMV, and expect it to be accurate.. :)

2 |3000

amrane avatar image
amrane answered ·

So, I check everything : breaker, wiring, MC4 connectors, etc... Everything seems good.

@JohnC, currently my unit don't see any difference between day and night. The MPPT backlinght is always on (the sun is light up forever).

@Markus, this screen should be normal too in northern country during eternal day season ;)

As my unit doesn't work like that previously, it is probably partialy break down. I will see with my distributor how to do.

Thanks for your support guys and happy Near Year !

1 comment
2 |3000

markus avatar image markus ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you, you too!

0 Likes 0 ·
myshopsolaire avatar image
myshopsolaire answered ·

Hello, we are the seller of the product, this case will not be fixed afar. We create a RMA to Victron Energy, they will take care about the problem.

Regards,

2 comments
2 |3000

amrane avatar image amrane commented ·

Thank you for your effective support !

0 Likes 0 ·
shingsam avatar image shingsam commented ·
Hi, this same issue with my MPPT 150/85. How i can fix it ?

Help me please.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic