question

pj-luus avatar image
pj-luus asked

Cerbo GX S Failure Issue with Specific Installation Setup

Hello,

I am writing to seek assistance regarding a recurring issue with the Cerbo GX S model, which I've encountered twice within a short span of time after installation.

Here are the details of my system setup:

• 1 MultiPlus 3kVA
  • BlueSolar 150V35A MPPT
  • Cerbo GX S (Serial Number: HQ222 and HQ223)
  • 2x Li-ion Batteries (44V - 56V)
  • No grid available

The first Cerbo (SN: HQ222) was connected to the MultiPlus battery terminals and malfunctioned within less than 24 hours of installation. Following this, I replaced it with a second Cerbo (SN: HQ223), which was directly connected to the battery terminal. Unfortunately, the second Cerbo also failed after just 2 days of usage. There are no errors on VRM on both cases.

The rest of the system is functioning normally without the Cerbo GX S in operation. The MPPT Rotary switch is set to position 1, resulting in a charge voltage of 56.4V. It's worth noting that the Cerbo's input specification indicates a range of 8-70VDC, and there is no possibility that the DC bus exceeded this limit.

Considering this, I am contemplating whether integrating a DC to DC or AC to DC converter on the input of the Cerbo could potentially mitigate this issue and ensure its safe operation. However, before proceeding with any modifications, I would greatly appreciate your confirmation on whether this solution aligns with the expected functionality of the Cerbo GX S.

Additionally, I have completed four alternative Victron installations with Cerbo GX (non-S version), all of which have been problem-free. Therefore, it's particularly perplexing to encounter these issues with the Cerbo GX S model.

Could you kindly provide insight into this matter and advise on the best course of action to resolve this issue and prevent further occurrences? Furthermore, I am in the process of initiating a warranty return for the second time, and I would greatly appreciate any assistance to ensure a smooth warranty claim process.

Thank you for your attention to this matter, and I look forward to your prompt response and guidance.

cerbo gxgx device
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@PJ Luus

A faliure in 24hours is known as an out of the box faliure, while not normal can point to a batch problem.

If you have submitted for warranty replacement is is being dealt with. You should not have to do anything special to stop it from happening.

I will check, the CerboGX from that time range had a power supply problem where in 48v systems they would fail due to batch problem. (There was a caps mod for that range). Since the Cerbo S is based on the Cerbo, the ones from that manufacturing period may have the same problem. I will see if I can confirm if the Cerbo S is also affected.

See here.

Edited: {Confirmed that the CerboS never had the same power supply batch problem}

0 Likes 0 ·
pj-luus avatar image pj-luus Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Thanks, Much appreciated

The serial Numbers are: HQ222644XGQ and HQ2236KK7V9

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ pj-luus commented ·

@PJ Luus

Thank you for your reply.

I can confirm the Cerbo S did not and does not have the same issue as the Cerbo did for the one batch.

So that means you had some rotton luck there.

But with the second RMA and whoever you are dealing with just make sure to note that it is the second one that is has happened to. Helps with records and helps identify potential problems faster with more information.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

"The MPPT Rotary switch is set to position 1, resulting in a charge voltage of 56.4V." This is the incorrect charge profile for the batteries." See below.

1707387463822.png

1707387463822.png (30.6 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pj-luus avatar image pj-luus commented ·
Thanks. It is set to 0 not 1. I see, but don't think it should affect the cerbo though? The battery is happy with setting 0. There is no comms between victron and the batteries. It is set to the battery monitor setting on the victron.
0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw pj-luus commented ·

Difficult to say with very little to go on, also as far as the battery is concerned. However, since the charge profiles are different, I will not discount the possibility of the battery BMS or protection mechanism kicking in with potentially adverse consequences, even if only resulting in a battery that never reaches a full charge. You will also not have a valid warranty from the battery manufacturer so best to get your "house in order" and the installations up to a professional standard at least. MPPT settings should match the inverter settings to ensure the devices can function as intended independently as when e.g. Cerbo fails and there is no DVCC.

0 Likes 0 ·
jeanmarie avatar image
jeanmarie answered ·

The SN for your Cerbo are not consistant with Victron ways of coding it HQxxyyzzzz

your 1st Cerbo may have been affected by the faulty serie

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/152325/cerbo-gx-geht-standig-kaputt.html

The 2nd should not (except if your SN was of type 2203xxxx instead of 223xxxxx

With a LFP and BMS battery you must have a communicating Cerbo to synchronize everything or set properly the voltage on all item of your environment.

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
The Cerbo "S" model was never affected by the advisory.
0 Likes 0 ·