question

iammeikle avatar image
iammeikle asked

Charging different size batteries

I have a remote cabin which is not connected to the grid. I have several batteries of different sizes for different equipment, Tractor, mower, ATV, etc. If i dont use the equipment for a while, the batteries drain, especially over winter.

What is the best setup to keep all the batteries topped up?

Can i run several BlueSolar PWM controllers from one solar panel?

Thanks

Ian

battery chargingBlueSolar PWM
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kai avatar image kai ♦ commented ·

When you say batteries are different sizes, are they different types? e.g. do you have a variety of flooded, agm, etc or are they all the same type/chemistry? And are all the battery packs 12v?

0 Likes 0 ·
iammeikle avatar image iammeikle kai ♦ commented ·

All are 12v and all are either lead-acid or AGM.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Jaco Reinecke avatar image
Jaco Reinecke answered ·

Hi Ian,

Here is what I know:
One MPPT per array / panel.
Can have multiple MPPT's on one battery bank IF all MPPT's are set identically.
Cannot charge different size or makes of batteries in the same bank as the charge current / float voltages can differ between makes and definitely between battery ah's.

And idea is to have separate AC chargers running off the inverter to charge the different ah / sixed banks separately.

Regards
Jaco

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kai avatar image
kai answered ·

You could try grouping the (flooded?) LA into one group, and the AGM into another group and have a battery maintainer for each, tuned to the nominal float voltage needed for that chemistry.

In an ideal scenario, each battery has its own maintainer, but grouping by chemistry shouldn't be too far off.

2 comments
2 |3000

iammeikle avatar image iammeikle commented ·

Thanks Kai.

Can I run each "maintainer" off a single solar panel or do I need one panel per maintainer ?

0 Likes 0 ·
kai avatar image kai ♦ iammeikle commented ·

Hi @i.am.meikle

Editing my previous response, I made an assumption that I shouldn't have.

Please ensure that solar panel(s) are dedicated to each solar controller.

Some controllers are not programmable w.r.t. voltage- check what your voltage needs are before selecting.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual