question

svitek avatar image
svitek asked

Quattro II doesn't accept generator on AC In1

I have the same problem as some others. Quattro II doesn't accept my Generator Hyundai D7000 EMS.

The generator is on, it produces 223 V on AC 1 IN, the Quattro switches to charging (there is also Float lighting on the Quattro which doesn't make sense to me, because the batteries Victron Smart are empty), and after a dozen seconds, the generator is disconnected with alarm message AC Input Not Available. The voltage on the AC input is stable at 223 V, the generator is normally working and produces current.

I have tried:

1) UPS Function disabled
2) Weak AC Input enabled
3) AC Input current limit 14 A (On the generator is written that it produces 22 A)

I have read the threads:
https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/177568/generator-runs-but-doesnt-connect.html
https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/37642/generator-ac-disconnected.html

And still don't know what to do to make it work. Has anybody any clue?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerGenerator
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

snoobler avatar image snoobler commented ·

How is the generator frequency?

Have you tried it in charger only mode?

0 Likes 0 ·
svitek avatar image svitek snoobler commented ·
50 HZ

How to switch Invertor mode? I just switched on connected generator.

0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler svitek commented ·
Main physical switch should be ON/OFF/CHARGER ONLY
0 Likes 0 ·
svitek avatar image svitek snoobler commented ·
Thanks, but it didn't help. Still the same problem. :(
0 Likes 0 ·
heinzie avatar image heinzie svitek commented ·

What is your battery voltage measured?

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Assuming it's a US unit with 220V split phase, check the voltage on each leg compared to neutral. And to earth. You may need to connect neutral and ground to stabilise this. Hopefully someone who knows USA power can confirm.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@Svitek

That 'AC Input Not Available' alarm suggests the genset output is baulking at the instant load hit, then possibly self-resetting after a time. You could test for this with a light on another genset outlet.

Try switching on Dynamic Current Limiter in the Quattro. It's like a soft-start, and most gensets benefit from it.

The Weak AC setting is best avoided long term as it comes with power factor and charge limit issues. Shouldn't normally be needed.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

2 comments
2 |3000

svitek avatar image svitek commented ·
Thanks, John. I tried, but I still had the same problem. Your answer inspired me to decrease the AC In 1 current even more, so I went down to 2 AMP. But after a few seconds of charging the AC1 is switched off again. :(

The generator is working. From its second outlet, I'm charging my notebook now and I have used this generator also for inverter welding, so it has enough power.

The problem is, that I'm completely off-grid, so when the battery is off, and gen is not charging invertor, I cannot use Quattro and the wires going from that. Probably have to do another wiring directly from the generator. But it is not the way why I invested in Quattro. :(

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ svitek commented ·
@Svitek

That the Quattro isn't inverting means it must be set for Charge only. It needs to be set to ON for that DCL soft-start to work.

You haven't said what size Quattro it is, but if you can get down to 2A ACIn means it's a smallish one. Or other settings have been changed. If this is a used unit you've purchased then it might be easiest to just give it a firmware upgrade, which will reset all defaults.

0 Likes 0 ·
svitek avatar image
svitek answered ·

Must tell that grounding was the problem! I improved grounding of the gen and AC out and it started to work normaly. So easy.

2 |3000