question

Neil Pavia avatar image
Neil Pavia asked

generator runs but doesn't connect

Hi All,

I've got a Quattro 15000/48 system running on solar.

at night in winter I need to top up with a generator for a few hours.

I have a 4000W generator but set the system to 6AMPS to keep it safe.

When I view AC 1, voltage is detected, Hz are 50, but the Inverter doesn't take load - I plug an appliance directly into the generator and it works fine, but the Inverter wont take it. Loads on inverter are very low at charging time to avoid voltage fluctuations - AC1 keeps showing disconnected.

I'm at my wits end. any ideas that may help it tie to the genny?

image attached.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
harold avatar image
harold answered ·

Did you set the Quattro to accept a wide range?

And is the UPS function off?

There are some similar posts, were I got my advice from.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Neil Pavia avatar image Neil Pavia commented ·
yes I did all this - no joy
0 Likes 0 ·
Odd avatar image
Odd answered ·

Had the same problem, Had to turn off ups function

1 comment
2 |3000

unfortunately didn't change anything for me
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Neil Pavia

Look here, particularly the Dynamic Current Limiter.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

It may be something else too, but we'd need more info. Like can you hear relays clicking in the Quattro? or any other observations..

2 |3000

Neil Pavia avatar image
Neil Pavia answered ·

Hi John,

thank you for your reply.

The only clicking of relays I hear is when it does connect and got to "passthru"

I'm trying to get to the VE.BUS.monitor as this would give me an idea why its not connecting but my interface doesn't seem to have it.

would you know how to access this by any chance?

untitled-1.jpg

untitled-1.jpg (526.8 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
You only see the VE.Bus Monitor if you are connected directly to the Quattro with a MK3 interface.
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

@Neil Pavia@Matthias Lange - DE

Yes, what you've posted there is the display of the Quattro settings file. Which you'll need to make changes, so check out the Downloads section on Victron website re VEConfigure.

You mentioned earlier you set the genset limit to 6A. Normally that wouldn't be possible, that's a big Quattro, so I looked it up..

1672486571097.png

The 2656 should be yours, so your 6A won't have stuck if you have Power Assist enabled. This assumes it's not ancient firmware too, which might be even higher. 14.5A will be right up there with your genset, and it's probably gagging when it's switched in, then getting rejected. Tis why I mentioned Dynamic Current Limiter to buffer that.

If the genset proves too small then the only way to decrease that Current Limit would be to disable Power Assist. That means you won't be able to apply a load greater than the Current Limit you have set.

0 Likes 0 ·
1672486571097.png (16.5 KiB)
Neil Pavia avatar image Neil Pavia Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
thanks for this very detailed information. i think its time to buy a new generator.

I wanted to buy the generator from the Local Victron agent when I bought the entire set up but they couldn't offer me the service so I had to get one myself.

I think Ill go for the Hyundai or SDMO model. waiting for both to send me a quote - everything seems sold out at the moment.

0 Likes 0 ·
Neil Pavia avatar image
Neil Pavia answered ·

I've tried two generators now. both wont tie up.

2 |3000

love2learn avatar image
love2learn answered ·

I had the same issue until I disconnected the ground wire from the cable going to the generator. How do you have your ground relay in the multiplus configured?

Obvious statement, but, but make sure the breakers on the generator are properly set and not tripped.

2 comments
2 |3000

all of my ground wires are wired to a common bus which tie into the copper grounding wire - never thought about this
0 Likes 0 ·
love2learn avatar image love2learn Neil Pavia commented ·
You going to give it a try? See if it works by just disconnecting the ground from the terminal block that goes to your generator. If it works, you can troubleshoot further from there.
0 Likes 0 ·