question

james-shaw avatar image
james-shaw asked

Adding additional VE Bus devices to Easy Solar

Hi, I have a Victron EasySolar 48/3000/35-50 MPPT 150/70 with colour control in an off the grid application. I have recently added a second slave inverter (Multiplus 48/3000/35) and am now about to change over to Pylontech batteries (4 x US3000 48v). I need to connect the master battery to the EasySolar and my issue is that the 2 x VE Bus connectors on the EasySolar are already in use. One is for the GX display and the other is connected to the slave inverter. I think that I have a spare connector port on the slave inverter but assume that I have to connect the battery bank to the EasySolar as the master unit. Is there a VE Bus hub or similar that can be added to the system to allow addtional VE bus devices to be connected? I am not great technically so I hope that I have explained this correctly. Thanks in advance. james

PylontechEasySolar All-in-OneVE.Bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @James Shaw

Your Pylons don't use VE.Bus, they need a CAN connection to the CCGX. That in itself needs some care, but there's a guide to assembling it all.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

Come back if you need further help, there plenty people here use Pylons.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

james-shaw avatar image james-shaw commented ·

Thanks very much John - that is a great help. It is a 6 hour round trip to my property which is very remote so i am anxious to make sure that I have everything that I need before I head out there

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ james-shaw commented ·

@James Shaw

Yeh, I hear ya. I'd forget something!

Usually Victron don't mince words in guides like that, so if something rates a mention then you should listen. Might be just a min firmware, but you could decide to run with the latest (I would). So you may need to go kitted with the gear and the knowledge to do things like that too. I have an Easysolar with an older CCGX that can't do Multiplus f/w updates via VRM, so I use a MK3 dongle/pc. The right CAN cable an essential.

Good Luck.

0 Likes 0 ·
james-shaw avatar image james-shaw commented ·

Thanks again. I had to program the second inverter to be slave to the EasySolar so I bought the dongle etc at that stage and hopefully will be able to fumble my way through it

0 Likes 0 ·