question

marekp avatar image
marekp asked

VRM advanced data access is very problematic now

Is it only me or it is a global problem.

For soem time accessing advanced graphs and data on VRM is non possible.

screen-shot-2023-11-27-at-111918-am.png

vrm advanced
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @MarekP & @pwfarnell,

Apologies for the issues and thanks for reporting.

The VRM team has found one issue, and made several other improvements and they were pushed to the main VRM today (so if you were using beta you can switch back now).

For some more detail, the 'unknown error' in most cases refers to a time out condition, the bug that was fixed was an 'infinite loop' that could occur in some cases, but now has been corrected.

The VE.Bus widget specifically was also contributing to long loading times, which when enough other widgets were loaded could also cause the same time out. That has been improved, but the team is also looking how to can be improved further, if the issue re-occurs (which it shouldn't), then disabling the VE.bus widget should be the first thing to do on your end, or if you need it, isolating it so other widgets aren't also loading as well.

We'll keep looking at how to make this better, but that should resolve the immediate issues you were having for now.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

CM avatar image CM commented ·
Works perfectly now ; no more errors on my end
1 Like 1 ·

Hi @MarekP,

Does this issue still persist?

There was a change made this morning but the page should have reloaded automatically.

I can personally see the advanced widgets, but also saw another complaint so you aren’t alone.

2 comments
2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·
I am seeing it also, slow response then the error message.
0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp commented ·

Advanced VRM is now useless (for me).

Data analysis is not possible.

After selecting "advanced" link on the left I get first the VE.Bus Summary window and than for many minutes (hours) the rest of graphs are empty.

Even if eventually couple graphs are visible, the values for data points (under the pointer) are not showing.

Eventually the red rectangle shows up and that is it.

screen-shot-2023-11-27-at-34316-pm.png

0 Likes 0 ·

I’ve asked the VRM team to look into it.

Please let me know if anything changes and it improves.

This isn’t something that is affecting many people, so it’s proving more difficult to reproduce and fix.

2 comments
2 |3000

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

Nothing changed in the way the VRM Advanced section of the VRM page is behaving.

No, maybe only fact that the red box information is not showing up that often now.

If I go into the Advanced section of VRM my 26 graphs are empty for very long time.

Some of them show their content after many minutes and when I scroll down to see the other graph I want to compare data with, there is nothing there. When I go back to the previous one most of the time is again empty. There is no way to have them all with the graphical content. Getting the numerical info, after moving the pointer to the line, is possible only right after reloading the page (only if the page wants to reload), and only on the graphs that were visible after reload. When I scroll down to see some other graph, and I am lucky that it is visible, the data under the pointer is not there. When I go back to the first one, and it is still there, the data under the pointer is not showing anymore.

One time I left the VRM Advanced page open, as a tab, and went on doing other things on that computer and came back to it after many hours. Graph were mostly there but "pointer" data was not visible and "local time" was still those many hours in the past. Graphs are not refreshing their content as time passes.

As it is now it is not usable (for me) for any data investigation.

Cannot even check how much the production increased after cleaning the snow of the PV panels. :(

I am using two different computers to view the VRM.

1. Apple MacPro 2.1 MacOS 10.9.5 and Firefox (v78.15.0)

2. Dell PC with Windows 10 and Firefox (up to date for W10)

Only a year ago the VRM was working perfectly on both computers with the identical setups.

I hope that VRM is not the victim of Victron success.

On another note:

I am still waiting for certification of Victron inverters in Poland.

Slowly loosing hope and friends I convinced to install Victron equipment. Only one is left, but maybe because he is using Victron on OFF-grid setup.

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp marekp commented ·

This is the result of reloading VRM advanced page at 9:41 this morning.

The screenshot was done at 14:03

This is the only information visible. No graphs below contained any data.

screen-shot-2023-11-28-at-20253-pm.png

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @MarekP

Don't lose hope yet!

I have asked the VRM team to dig into what might be going wrong here. Hopefully we have some results back soon.

1 comment
2 |3000

I am certain that your VRM team will find the solution to this problem but it could require expanding the server capabilities since I think the problem could be to much traffic caused by growing popularity of Victron systems. I hope that I will not have to buy a new computer to be able to access the "new" VRM same way I cannot now access VRM on my iPad 2. :(

The other note.

Hope that I am slowly losing is related to the lack of certification of Victron inverters in Poland. My friends bought the Victron inverters and still cannot connect them to the grid legally to get advantages of ESS and soon to be implemented dynamic electricity pricing.

1 Like 1 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @MarekP

Just an off chance. You have a substantial system, and probably work it extensively too. Might your issues be related to cpu load on the GX??

Mightn't be easy to troubleshoot, but perhaps you could look at things like your onboard data storage, etc., which may indicate something amiss..

1 comment
2 |3000

@JohnC

Size of my system did not change much for the last year. In reality it is now 3 x MP-II and 1 x ES-II and year ago it was 5 x MP-II and 1 x ES-II.

As for data storage, I am constantly running Grafana with 26 different graphs and there is no problems with data transfer from my GX.

From time to time I have to reset my GX because it is loosing connection with ES-II internal MPPT 250/70 (no data in VRM) and external EM-24 (missing grid meter error).

My plan for this system is to change it to 3 x MP-II 5k but time, to do it, is in short supply now. Eventually I will build a second system based on 3 x MP-II 5k, MPPT 250/70, Cerbo-GX and 80 kWh battery that I am building out off LG78 cells. Will switch over to the new setup when its ready.

Probably sooner will change one MP-II and ES-II into 2 x MP-II, external MPPT 250/70 and Cerbo-GX. Not much wiring change needed.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

There is an issue with VRM, recently found, that once corrected should resolve the issue which has been intermittent and often localised.

2 |3000

Hi @MarekP,

The team have found and fixed a bug that was contributing to performance issues for some users.

The fix is immediately available if you would like to test it on http://betavrm.victronenergy.com

It will also be pushed to production once a few more tests have been run.

1 comment
2 |3000

I tried it and it seems to work as a year ago.

Graphs load quick and updates automatically.

Switching beetwen dashboard and advanced views works ok without having to reload the page.

Data under the pointer works but only in one graph. Before all visble graphs showed exact data at the same time point.

Avatar got lost and to load it again had to show the file in the file system because dropping the image did not work.

Will play more later but I noticed that this beta is no longer a beta. My prewious VRM page works the same as beta now.

When I enetered the beta page this window poped up.

screen-shot-2023-11-30-at-72337-pm.png

To me it is as putting salt into the open wound.

In Poland I canot legally use ESS because none of the Victron inverters are legal to connect to the grid because they arre not cerified in my country.

Currently I am connected to the grid illegaly and every day I am risking geting a fine or even being disconected completely from the grid for using uncertified equipment.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic