question

solshare2023 avatar image
solshare2023 asked

Programming the internal relay for AC2 output for the Multiplus 2 -12/3000

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble programming the internal relay for AC2 output for the 12/3000. I'm trying to set it up so that the inverter turns off the AC2 output for 1-2 seconds (and then turns back on) when there is a shift from either battery to AC or from AC to battery.

I've tried different combinations of programmable relay assistance and relay locker assistants, AC input, battery voltage, load output conditions, etc., but I haven't been able to get it to work.

I've noticed that the conditions set for the relays seem to work on an OR logic rather than an AND logic. I may be wrong, but I think that's what's causing the problem.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I would really appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks

Rakib

Multiplus-IIRelayAssistants
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

Pay close attention to how you program the assistants, if ANY one of the conditions are met it will trigger the response.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

iammotorhomeless avatar image
iammotorhomeless answered ·

I might be wrong... but I think it executes them in order
so it's not as much OR/ AND logic
but 1, 2, 3 and back again

with that said, I have to ask, why?
I just can't see why you'd want too. Victron puts in a lot of time and effort to minimize any dropout...
but you want to make it 2 seconds long

7 comments
2 |3000

derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas commented ·
Yes it does execute them in order. My point was that it will not stop at the first met condition, it will continue down the list and if any condition is met it will execute that function. This can create undesired results or end up in an endless loop if your not careful.
0 Likes 0 ·
solshare2022 avatar image solshare2022 commented ·
Hi, Thanks for your response. during my testing, I understood that the logics are executed from top to bottom, when I mentioned that it works on a OR logic, I meant, if in one assistant you have 2 conditions defined (Battery voltage AND AC presence), then if 1 of the 2 conditions are met, then the assistant executes rather than when BOTH conditions are met.

@IamMotorHomeless I understand Victron does spend a considerable amount of time to reduce dropouts but my system has a battery charger that seems highly sensitive to grid fluctuations, for the millisecond that the grid fluctuates during a changeover (battery to grid, grid to battery), the charger senses this and inherently stops charging and without me turning off the switch and turning it back on, it does not resume charging. Unless you have any further suggestions on how best to implement this, I am open to suggestions, the only way I figured is that I will automatically simulate this Turn ON/OFF behaviour with the AC out relay to ensure charging continues.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ solshare2022 commented ·
@solshare2023

To get AND functionality, use the second Condition to switch OFF when it's NOT met. Think about it.. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
solshare2022 avatar image solshare2022 JohnC ♦ commented ·
Thanks, let me do some testing and I will revert
0 Likes 0 ·
iammotorhomeless avatar image iammotorhomeless solshare2022 commented ·
@solshare2023

I would look at a Shelley switch on the charger, and put a delay timer on it, using node red

0 Likes 0 ·
solshare2022 avatar image solshare2022 iammotorhomeless commented ·
@IamMotorHomeless , Thanks, quick search on the internet, shelley switch = wifi/bluetooth controlled smart switch (i may have the wrong one) but if this is the case, you are suggesting that when an event occurs on the inverter, I will send either a ON/OFF command to this switch (or a pre-defined scene e.g turn off for 2 seconds and turn back on), if so, what channel or protocol do you suggest I use to send this command from the VE system to the Shelley?
0 Likes 0 ·
iammotorhomeless avatar image iammotorhomeless solshare2022 commented ·

@solshare2023
Yes a Shelly (sorry I keep adding an extra 'e' in it)
A Shelly 1 Wi-Fi Switch Actuator 16A should do you, https://amzn.to/3QQFkuU

I have just had a quick read back... do you have a Cerbo or PI running Venus OS
I use MQTT and node red to control my Shelly

But I did just find this post from 2021. they are also trying to control the AC2 output relay. And it says that if you have a Cerbo GX you can use one of the Cerbo relaies to do this.

here is the post
https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/90617/node-red-controlling-ac-out-2-on-multiplus-ii-ess.html
and the Blog post with step by step images, that shows how it's done
https://shaneyake.blogspot.com/2022/09/victron-disconnect-inverter-from-grid.html
witch is more about Disconnecting Inverter from Grid using AUX1, but would think it will work for AUX2.

the only thing you would have to add would be a 'delay' node to switch the AUX2 back on

this might work better than my Shelly option. but Shelly switches are very useful.
I use the PM (power monitor) ones as they are so easy to integrate into node red and Venus OS

hope this helps you

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources