question

gyrovague avatar image

node-red controlling ac-out-2 on multiplus II ESS

In the venus large installation guide ( https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:large ), it states for Multiplus II "Includes alarm relays as well as the AC-out 2 relay: its not possible to control those; and there is no plan to make them controllable from within Node-RED."

Is it still the case that AC-out-2 relay is not controllable and is not planned to be controllable? If so, is there a technical limitation to this, or what is the reason? Will it definitely never be supported, or is it merely "not yet" supported?

I use AC-out-2 on my Multiplus II for non-essentials, and currently it is turned off as soon as the grid input on AC-in fails. I know there are meant to be ways to change that default AC-out-2 behaviour using assistants, but it looks a bit daunting to edit those. If Node-RED supported being able to set AC-out-2, it looks like it could then be fairly simple (compared to the assistants) to allow it to provide power to non-essentials while SoC of batteries is above a certain level.

Node-REDac out 2
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
espen avatar image
espen answered ·

Hi, while waiting for the possibility for controll of the ACOut2 from Node Red: An easy assistant to configure is AC Out2 controlled by AUX input on the Multi. And then you can use node red to control a relay output on the venus/cerbo, and wire that relay to the aux on the Multi.

1 comment

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

OK, interesting, but I guess if I go the route of using assistants, I may as well use one that directly controls AC-out-2 based on SoC and grid input (I'm 99% sure I've seen such an example somewhere on these forums) -- it just seems like the barrier to entry for setting up assistants is a lot higher. I wonder whether the ability of the assistants to control AC-out-2 is what is preventing their use for Node-RED (i.e. then multiple things could potentially clash)?

harold avatar image
harold answered ·

See here one of the posts, there is more about this subject, so search on 'AC2OUT' and 'assistants'

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/45885/can-i-make-ac-out-2-active-on-inverting-quatro.html

1 comment

Thanks, yes I've seen a number of posts about AC-out-2 using assistants, but I was hoping by now it would be possible to use Node-RED instead of assistants to control AC-out-2. The assistants are not exactly intuitive or user-friendly to program.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

hi, its impossible to control that output from node-red.

Also using any other protocol, also impossible. The issue is that controlling that output is not possible over the comms protocol to the Multi. Perhaps some day; but right now simply not, and also not anytime soon I'm afraid.

You can use a (large) AC contactor and wire it using a relay in the GX device. I know its a bit waste of hardware, but it simple and available.

2 comments

You can use the AUX inputs on the multiplus to control the outputs including AC-OUT 2, you can wire AUX input to GX relay to control AC-OUT 2. You won't need to buy anything.
thats a clever one, nice!