dominik-bluszcz asked

LiFePo4, BMS without low temperature battery cutoff

Hi,

I have RV setup as follows:
Victron SmartShunt 500A ,
MPPT SmartSolar 100/20,
Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30 A,
Blue Smart Charger 12-15A

All connected to 170ah LiFePo4 battery without low temp. cut off.

I'm looking for possibility to include low temp cut off using my components.

Please help as minus degree temperatures are close!

battery chargingSmartShuntoffgridtemperaturelifepo
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Just a reminder, this is a community site, it is not Victron support.

For that you need to contact your supplier, or log a ticket via the professional site.

1 Like 1 ·
dominik-bluszcz avatar image dominik-bluszcz nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks for your input.

I've updated the post. Also I've emailed my distributor but if you or community will have any ideas please don't hesitate to discus them here.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ dominik-bluszcz commented ·
I am sure someone here will have advice for you.

Good luck.

Have a look via the search bar, maybe you find an older post that is helpful.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

If you enable a custom charge profile on the MPPT, you can enable a low temp cutoff.

It is best to get an external temp sensor as the internal one in the charger isn't always perfect, you could use the smartshunt for this.

Use victron connect app in demo mode, it allows you to simulate the configuration of these options.

The newer smart charger also supports temp cutoff and vesmart networking which you'd use to connect all the devices over bluetooth.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dominik-bluszcz avatar image dominik-bluszcz commented ·

There are three chargers here:

MPPT SmartSolar 100/20,
Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30 A,
Blue Smart Charger 12-15A

I was not able to find temp cut off setting in the smart shunt device only additional temp sensor can be added but it is only alerting about set temp levels.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ dominik-bluszcz commented ·
The shunt will be the temp sensor, you will then configure each charger (that supports it), to have a low temp cut off. They need to be part of a ve smart network (if they support it) to share the sensor data.

Your MPPT supports it. Older versions of the other ones, might not.

0 Likes 0 ·
umgfoin avatar image umgfoin dominik-bluszcz commented ·

Be aware that in contrary to MPPTs, IP22 (rev2) Smart Chargers implement a 5°C hysteresis for the low-temp cutoff settings, which strongly reduces the feature's usefulness. If configured to stop charging at 5°C, they will not resume charging until temp. rises above 10°C.

MPPTs work with a 0.5°C hysteresis, which makes sense.
If configured in a smart network for synchronized charging, an IP22 Smart Charger rev2* will always take precedence over an MPPT and enforce the 5°C hysteresis also for the MPPT.
Victron is aware of the issue and committed to a firmware-correction, but it is unknown, when this will happen.

++Umgfoin.

* IP22 Blue Smart Chargers rev1 are not smart network ready.

0 Likes 0 ·
iammotorhomeless avatar image
iammotorhomeless answered ·

why a low temp cut off
just buy a 12v thermostatic heater, to keep the battery warm

but a temp sensor into the shunt and a ve smart network would work with the MPPT SmartSolar 100/20, and the Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30 A,
how new is the Blue Smart Charger 12-15A (newer ones should work with it too)

2 |3000