question

iammotorhomeless avatar image
iammotorhomeless asked

VRM instance number keeps changing

Raspberry PI 4B Venus OS - the Multiplus 48/1600 shows up on the Device list twice

I just installed a Multiplus 48/1600 and a Smart Shunt 500A running on a Raspberry PI 4B Venus OS

the first run/setup, the Multiplus 48/1600 named "Charger MP1600" was asigned [288]
after making some changes a second one showed up, now asigned [289]

mp1600288an289.png

I have tried "Delete device" for one and both of them via VRM, but they just come back

only one shows up in the console at any one time.

mp1600289on.png

they switch after every reboot :( witch really messes with any node red stuff

mp1600288on.png

anyone seen this before ?
anyone know how to fix it ?

Thanks

VRMVenus OSRaspberry Pimultiplus ve.busVE.Bus
mp1600288an289.png (38.9 KiB)
mp1600288on.png (31.5 KiB)
mp1600289on.png (31.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

This is a known issue for vebus devices on a raspberrypi.

It depends on the USB enumeration. To make the best out of it, connect the mk3 directly, without any USB hubs.

Adding or removing other usb devices might cause the number to change.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

iammotorhomeless avatar image iammotorhomeless commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy) thanks... no hub, just a generic 'blue' DYI USB to SmartShunt and the MK3 both pluged directly into the PI 4b, into the 2 USB 3.0 ports

what I don't under stand is how, when the MK3 is asigned [289]
the Shunt is also asigned [289]

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ iammotorhomeless commented ·
Those numbers are unique per device category. Not unique per system.
0 Likes 0 ·
iammotorhomeless avatar image iammotorhomeless mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy)
I have ordered a second Cerbo GX, playing with the PI was fun. but I just need it to work. that's why I bought victron in the first place

I have a PI 5 on pre-order. but even that might not fix the problem
thanks again

1 Like 1 ·
iammotorhomeless avatar image
iammotorhomeless answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy)
I had both the MK3-USB and the DIY VE.Direct Cable for the Shunt plugged in to the two USB 3.0 sockets on the PI

I have moved the MK3-USB into the USB 2.0 socket on the PI... and this seems to have fixed my problem
it's only been 40 hours, but no disconnects and no problems with the VRM instance number changing from 288 to 289 and back again every time I reboot

iammotorhomeless-pi-2-mk3usb.jpg

2 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
That is good to know, thanks!
1 Like 1 ·
iammotorhomeless avatar image iammotorhomeless mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
@mvader (Victron Energy)

another 24 hours in... and still no drop outs

I don't know if it's the slower USB 2.0 or if it is having them on differant 'usb feeds' into the PI
but it is working :)

0 Likes 0 ·
henk-victron avatar image
henk-victron answered ·

Hi,

I have the same kind of problem. I use a Raspberry 3B+ with the latest Venus OS. ( 3.13). Each time the Raspberry reboots ( without changing anything else) the two attached BMS get a different instance number. This is very annoying as I use Nodered to put the data of the system in an influx database. Each reboot the connections to the BMS are either get new instance numbers (3 and 4) or the two instances numbers (1 and 2) are switched between the two Bms I have tried to delete all the old instances but this does not solve the problem. I some times have to delete them 5 times until by change the right bms gets the right instance number again. Also the changes to the settings of the BMS, ( the name of the bms) I made in vrm connect are gone.

Is there a way to avoid this? Maybe is there a way to backup the settings in VRM so you can reload this backup after a reboot off the raspberry and get the " correct" settings back or to pin the instance numbers?

It makes the use of Nodered almost useless :(

2 |3000