question

Adam Sherman avatar image
Adam Sherman asked

Enabling New Wind and Solar with a GX and without VE Configure

I have a Cerbo GX, a MultiPlus 24/3000/70-120, and a SmartSolar VE.Can. My REC-BMS is the boss of everything via DVCC (connected to the GX via CAN).

I really want to prioritize my solar input over shore as much as possible, since at the moment I have 1700W sitting around with its finger up its nose!

Am I correct in my understanding that the only way to enable the feature is to get a VE.Bus Smart dongle (ASS030537010) so I can use the iOS application to configure the Multi? (I have a Mac OS, iOS, and Linux/ARM that I could use for this.)

Thank you,

A.

Venus OSVE.BusDVCCVE.Bus Smart Donglesolar wind priority
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
cardy01 avatar image
cardy01 answered ·

I did it via VRM ....

7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Adam Sherman avatar image Adam Sherman commented ·
Can you please elaborate on that? I don't think any configuration is doable through VRM (other than inverter switch and current limits).
0 Likes 0 ·
cardy01 avatar image cardy01 Adam Sherman commented ·
Hi Adam

In VRM under Device List you have the option to use Remote VE Configure.

1st step as @Alexandra says is to ensure you have a copy of your current settings by downloading them.

Then you can update firmware if necessary which can be done through the device list.

Then enable the Solar priority feature using VE Configure and reload to the inverter.

Aside from some scary warnings it was quite painless.

I went back to AC Ignote as the solar priority settings leave AC loads on shore power and allow solar to power DC loads and charge the battery.

Ac ignore worked better for my setup on a boat.

0 Likes 0 ·
Adam Sherman avatar image Adam Sherman cardy01 commented ·

Right, but as I mentioned in my title "without VE Configure", I do not want to use a PC or have to run a VM so I can do that. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
What will you connect your MK3 adaptor to?
0 Likes 0 ·
Adam Sherman avatar image Adam Sherman cardy01 commented ·

It appears to work with VictronConnect.

What is the real difference on, say, a boat between the new feature and the AC input control?

10.5. AC Input Control

0 Likes 0 ·
AC ignore . .... allows to turn off the AC input based on power consumption and voltage levels ... otherwise my fridge is on shore power and my solar has its finger up its nose
0 Likes 0 ·
cardy01 avatar image cardy01 cardy01 commented ·
In real terms AC ignore halves my unattended consumption versus the new feature.
1 Like 1 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Adam Sherman

No you will need an MK3 to usb adaptor.

Use victron connect to update the firmware (if you have not already done so).

You can also firmware update over the VRM but make sure you have ve config ready on a laptop to upload new settings as a firmware update wipes off the settings.

2 comments
2 |3000

I just re-read that: I do not have a laptop with VE Configure, I want to use only Victron Connect or the GX. Are we talking about the same thing?

All my firmwares are up to date already.

0 Likes 0 ·
I've ordered one, thank you.
-1 Like -1 ·

Related Resources

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

What is VE.Bus?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

DVCC chapter in GX manual  

Solar and wind priority documentation