question

gib avatar image
gib asked

Combine Orion TR smart with a A+B switch?

I want to have a A+B switch to get power from bouth battery banks for engine start in emergency situastions. How would the Orion TR Smart DC/DC charger handle this situasion, when bouth terminals in fact will be connected to the same (and only) bank a little while?

battery chargingorion-tr smartorion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Is the Orion used to charge the second battery?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gib avatar image gib commented ·
I have two separate banks. One for start and one house bank. The charger charges the house battery and draws power from the starter battery. If I connect an A+B switch, then both banks will be connected as one when the switch is on.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Hard to say, but I think it's ok. Perhaps @Justin Cook - Bay Marine Supply USA knows.

2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

I would say an emergency switch is fine, since starting the vehicle will happen before the Orion starts up in any case. Switch to combine, start the vehicle, switch back before the Orion completes its startup process - and more to the point, before your alternator ramps up and tries to start charging all the batteries at the same time and possibly overloads.

Remembering to switch back after the engine is started will be the primary concern.

2 |3000